Virus protection

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by KDsGrandma, Dec 13, 2012.

1. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I have a dumb question. Or at least a computer illiterate question. Should windows defender be disabled if I'm running another anti-virus program? Thanks!

2. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

windows defender does nothing for you Granny. Turn it off. Especially if you are running another program.

3. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Most security software will turn off any OS protection when you load it, if there's a known conflict.

Defender is a "real time" defense and is running all the time. I'm assuming the other software is also a "real time" defense? That eats resources that slow you down. If you're not a web rebel than I don't see you needing both.

I'd put more importance in a solid firewall choice than any anti virus software. Use more common sense on where you surf, what you click "open" on, and read everything before you click. Others will disagree with me on that though. I've been running Private Firewall 7.0 (free one) as a test for about a month now. For a freebie I'm impressed.

4. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

I am about you get what you pay for. If you think a free solution will protect you by all means come back in a few days and share your experience.

5. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

COMODO is also a great free firewall/antivirus.

I would also run TDSSKiller by Kaspersky Labs. It's a simple desktop app that remains separate from the kernel for rootkit identification.

6. KDsGrandma

Thanks for the advice, guys! I've been running Avast! for a few years now, and have had no problems. I thought Windows Defender had been uninstalled or disabled, I hadn't seen any sign of it in I don't know how long. Then today when I turned on my computer, I had a message pop up from the bottom of the screen saying "Windows Defender needs to scan your computer" or something like that. That message is still there if I click on a thingie on the bottom of the screen (sorry, I'm not kidding about being illiterate). So what do I need to do? Avast! says my system is secured.

7. Clif002

Clif002 Guest

8. KDsGrandma

Thanks, Clif. I'm not sure that's what this is. It's not a pop-up window, it's with the icons at the lower right corner of my screen, near the time & date, etc. There's a small upward pointing triangle that says, when I hover over it, "show hidden icons". The hidden icons include Avast, Carbonite, the mouse, printing if there's a print job waiting or working, and a flag or pennant that says "Solve PC issues: 2 messages." One of the messages has to do with a printer problem I had a few days ago and have resolved, and the other one says Windows Defender needs to scan my computer.

I'm expecting my grandson over here this weekend, maybe he'll take a look at it for pie or cookies. :)

9. Navycut

Navycut Well-Known Member

It's just a 'pop-up' advertisement. If you go ahead and scan, it will tell you that you have 5,634 problems and for $49.95, they will fix it.

Stick with Avast/AVG.

10. 740i Guy

740i Guy Well-Known Member

Mmmm, if you are getting a pop-up without your browser running, you most likely already have the virus.

11. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Before you get nervous over a spyware issue: If you have your Windows updates on "auto" the OS may have loaded a Defender update that turned it back on.

Simply check your updates through the "add/remove programs" list to see if a Defender update is there recently.

12. KDsGrandma

Thanks, Dan, that makes sense to me. I'll check for that right now.