Virus :(

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by zookeeper, Mar 21, 2010.

1. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Ugh!

I have no idea how this one happened, but it won't even let me download any now bug catchers. . .it appears they download, but then disappear. . .tried searching for them and no dice.

I have McAfee and Malwarebytes. McAfee scans are saying no threats - malwarebytes wont even open :(

This so-called scan scam runs in 60 seconds and pops stuff up all over - it will not let me open IE it says it's infected. . .

Any suggestions?

Here's what I see

[​IMG]

2. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

McAfee says it's protected - not!

[​IMG]

3. Rush1

Rush1 Banned

Use firefox instead of IE.

4. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

Shutdown PC and restart in 'safe mode' (hit F8 repeatedly after BIOS but before Windows starts). Then runs Malwarebytes.

5. david4042

david4042 Well-Known Member

You can do a restore back to the point before the virus..

From Window Xp perspective... look up if you have a higher version like Vista or 7

Start/App Programs/Accessories/System Tools/System Restore/

6. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

That perticular issues is very intense. Go download 30 day trial of Kaspersky. It will clean it. Thise come in by Java. Very hard to defend. Kasperksy will get it. Do it before it is toooooo late. Sometimes those will dissable shortcuts, remove the icons from your aps. etc. It will also propagate across the IP stack.

7. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

8. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I talked to Zoo a little earlier today and it sounded like it may be fixed.

9. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I can't help, but I'll buy ya a beer to cry in.

Two of my three PCs have gone down with this or variants thereof. McAfee is useless against it, and I have seen all of the symptoms mentioned so far.

I suspect it was invited in by my 17 Y.O. son who sometimes (...when I don't catch him!) haunts the back alleys of the 'net.

On one unit I'm gonna blow everything away and reinstall the OS- the other one has my files, taxes, photos and music on it so I'm pretty screwed there.

Back up early and often!

10. FoxChassis

FoxChassis Well-Known Member

11. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

Gomer,
    if you have a fake antivirus program there are very useful guides that walk you through removing them. Go to
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/
    Then search for the specific one that you're infected with.

Every PC should have malwarebytes antimalware installed for the inevitable day that the PC gets infected.

The comments that say "use firefox instead" are just stupid. There are vulnerabilities in all browsers. People get infected using firefox too.

12. ServerSnapper

Malware bytes is not the savior. These problems are severe. Especially the spoof AV programs which are very vicious. Since its not Malware. Stick to a good free program for 30 days!

13. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Actually these things are neither malware nor viruses per se.

Actually had to wipe a laptop clean here at work last week due to one of these things. Could log into the laptop as the admin, clean it all day long, then have a certain user log in and bam it was suddenly back. And it was only this user that had the issue, any other user the laptop top worked fine, and this user worked fine on other pc's. It had intergrated itself into the boot sector information a certain user and made it impossible to clean the problem entirely.

14. ServerSnapper

If it were XP or Vista...You could have just renamed the users profile. Created a new one and they would have been fine logging in.

15. CraigSPL

Didn't think about renaming the profile. Did go the route of deleting it, at the reccomendation of our off site IT support group, and once the user was account was recreated the same problems cropped right back up. Was easier in the long run to wipe the laptop and start over as this also allowed us to clean the previous 5 users crap off as well in one fell swoop.

16. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

ServerSnapper,
    Malwarebytes is the single best program out there for removing Malware, and yes, fake antivirus programs are considered "malware". It goes without saying that a real antivirus program should be installed on the machine. There is a free version of malwarebytes for consumer use. I see these issues everyday at work and believe in the program so much that we bought tech licenses to use it when the need arises.

CraigSPL,
    it sounds like you didn't clean the right keys in the registry or you possibly had a rootkit. Gmer and Rootrepeal are excellent for detecting and helping to remove these.

Depending on the type of malware, it is sometimes best to just wipe and re-install, since you may never be certain that you got everything.

17. ServerSnapper

Thats stupid. A spoof is not Malware. A spoof is a spoof. But these are spoofs that carry viruses embedded in code. Like you. I deal with these globally. There is a reason Malware bytes is a free tool. So people will use it. In the corporate environment I question any technical team to use programs as such. So much better things to use. Do some research on who you are trying to teach before you are made fun of. Just an observation.

18. CraigSPL

Ran McAfee as it isn't a virus that came away clean, ran Microsoft Security Essentials found a few things here and there, ran Malwarebytes and found a few things, ran Ad-Aware and found nothing, and finally the entire suite of Trend Micro products with a few things here and there. No matter how clean the laptop was, once this one user logged back on everything went haywire again. and would spend another 4 hours cleaning the crap off again. delete the user account, clean the laptop again erasing all traces of the user, let them log in again and boom, the crap is back, but only for this one user.

19. trev47

trev47 Well-Known Member

From Wikipedia:
    Malware, short for malicious software, is software designed to infiltrate a computer system without the owner's informed consent. The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.[1] The term "computer virus" is sometimes used as a catch-all phrase to include all types of malware, including true viruses.

Fake antivirus programs are malware. Trojans are malware. MAL=Bad

Do some research on who you are trying to teach before you are made fun of. Just an observation.

Name a better malware tool. I do this for a living. My way may not be your way - so tell us what you use. People who have any kind of "recent" experience use malwarebytes to clean infections. Openoffice is free. It is a legitimate office suite. Free is not necessarily bad.

20. ServerSnapper

CA, SEP11, Nod32, Checkpoint firewall, Cisco ASA Firewalls, Bluecoat, just to name a few I work with on a daily basis.I manage 4 OC3 connection, content filtering border management, external access management, I manage 63 IT professionals, 18 years in the business. I hold a Masters in Computer Science, a minor in math, MCSE, Novell CNE, Novell Master CNE, Cisco CCDA, Cisco CCNA, CCNP, MCp Server 2003, MCP Server 2008, just to name a few. Ohh I also hold a CCSP. Not to shabby. Free is very bad in a production environment. It's careless and unprofessional.

Opinion is one thing. Just don't pass opinion for fact. There's always someone who knows more. Like me. Have a good day.:beathorse: