Welfare

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Anonymous, Aug 4, 2006.

?

If someone is on welfare and receiving food stamps do you think they should have to be in a program

1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fighting Camel

Fighting Camel Well-Known Member

As explained earlier,(granted several pages ago), every in-state student who attends a UNC system school is subsidized $9,021 a year for tuition. Private institution students are subsidized $1,800 a year for tuition. If you think your (or your child's) tuition is high now, imagine it if you had to pay that extra $9,000 or $1,800, depending if your child goes to a public or private university.

So if my child, who benefits from that $9,000+ a year by going to UNC-G, decides to drop out for whatever reason, she should be required to pay back the taxpayers of North Carolina? If my neighbor's child, who goes to Campbell University drops out, should he pay back the $1,800 a year?

2. Tangerine

Tangerine Well-Known Member

We got the $1800 but its not automatic. You have to apply for it and it was my understanding that it was a one time thing for incoming freshman who have been residence of NC for at least a year. Is this really something that can be applied for each year? Would be nice if it is because every little bit helps.

Edit
    I just checked and she got $1900. This amount is based on legislative appropriations and the number of students applying.

3. mordorboy

mordorboy Well-Known Member

No. So the degree is missing? Big deal. The experience and learning that occurred still adds value to the state.

4. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Shame the taxpayers have to pay for someone's "experience and learning"...when it amounts to nothing that will help them get somewhere in life. I can't for the life of me imagine what learning how to get drunk and hook up every night will bring back to the taxpayers. Aside from paying to support any love-child that results from that drinking and hooking up.

Tell me....

If I don't get my job done at work, but I do get "experience" and "learning"...should my boss go ahead and pay me anyway since it's good I got that experience and learning?

5. Fighting Camel

Yeah Tangerine its pretty much automatic, even in private institutions. You fill out a piece of paperwork stating that you're a residence of North Carolina and list when you filed your state income taxes. You send it in, you get it applied toward tuition, courtesy of the North Carolina taxpayers, regardless, whether you graduate or not.

6. mordorboy

I should have gone to your college. That seems much more fun than mine.

If you aren't getting experience while you're working, I hope you find a better job sooner. That would be miserable. If you aren't doing your job, then you aren't getting the experience or learning the right thing.

So you want all edumacation to be self-financed? Oh, you are a revolutionary.

7. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

I dont care Cleo in my opinion it is still wrong no matter... but on well hope Tammy has learned that one should be very careful who you talk to.

8. BenDover

BenDover Well-Known Member

So are you saying that if you recieve this you are on a type of "welfare"? Just want to get it straight.

9. Fighting Camel

Ben...I do see where it is a type of public assistance. Wouldn't use the term welfare necessarily, but it is does make me temper my criticsm of people on welfare when my child is receiving over $9,000 a year in tuition. And even more so when I think of the students who don't graduate and thus have wasted the taxpayers' monies.

10. BenDover

I can see your point.

11. mordorboy

Why is the lack of paper a waste? There are very strong employees who didn't finish their degrees and very weak employees who did.

Often, a degree is nothing but an indicator of extra time and resources.

12. BenDover

I can see your point too.

13. redclaymud

redclaymud Well-Known Member

It's very easy to spend money when it is not yours to spend and you don't feel the implications. If a person had to shoulder the entire cost burden at the time that they are utilizing the product/service (read that as pay out of your pocket and not a loan/grant) that they are paying for, they would likely think twice before taking on that burden or exiting it prior to its completion.

I would agree, though, that a degree can be fairly worthless. More often than not, experience in a certain profession will far outweigh any perceived advantages of having that degree. I would argue that four years of experience in many professional fields are worth much more than four years of college studying to enter those fields.

14. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Exactly! I'm a snake for crying out loud!! Why did she expect different? :lol:

15. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

True, but many opportunities won't be open to you without the degree. It's often a requirement to be hired.

16. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

And sometimes it indicates whether or not someone has the drive and commitment to finish what they started.

And I can usually look at software code and tell you whether the person who wrote it is degreed or not. That boolean algebra again....

17. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm not a snake, but if you are a despicable individual... I will go snake on your ass!! :lol:

18. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

^^ Hey Cleo..I'm the same way...except I go 4042 on their ars :lol:

19. redclaymud

redclaymud Well-Known Member

Sure, that's the way of the world, but it appears that many times this prerequisite is put there just because the HR department deemed it so. A degree really isn't necessary for many jobs if the commensurate experience is there.

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

It is one of the first things I try to get HR departments to remove! Usually when I show them they are violating their own procedures it is the first thing they remove.