Welfare

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Anonymous, Aug 4, 2006.

?

If someone is on welfare and receiving food stamps do you think they should have to be in a program

1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

hey i had a 800 dollar car that i drove for 2 years and well it was good enough for me should be for anyone.

2. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Cough Cough <bullshite> Cough Cough...

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

If I had some other agenda I would come right out and say it. Unlike some on here.

4. Southernborn

Southernborn Well-Known Member

Well when I had both of my kids, I went on this for maternity leave....it was almost equal to my pay..because no taxes or something that wasn't leaving my check like usual.

5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Given the president does not pass legislation and the Congress was controlled by the Republican party starting in 1994 there is no way the legislation would have been passed without the support of the GOP.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newt_Gingrich

Newton Leroy Gingrich (born June 17, 1943) is an American politician who is best known as the Speaker of the United States House of Representatives from 1995 to 1999. In 1995 he was named Time Magazine's Man of the Year for his role in leading the Republican Revolution in Congress, ending 40 years of Democratic majorities in the House. During his tenure as Speaker he represented the public face of the Republican opposition to President Bill Clinton.

A college history professor and prolific author, Gingrich twice ran unsuccessfully for the House before first winning a seat in November 1978. He was re-elected ten times, and his activism as a member of the House's Republican minority eventually enabled him to succeed Dick Cheney as House Minority Whip in 1989. As a co-author of the 1994 Contract With America, Gingrich was in the forefront of the Republican Party's dramatic success in the 1994 Congressional elections, and was subsequently elected Speaker. Gingrich's leadership in Congress was marked by contentious opposition to the policies of the Clinton Administration and Gingrich presided over the House during the impeachment of President Clinton

No job to be had, no money to buy gas for the car, car needs repairs that cannot be afforded or many other reasons. There were even cases of the military families getting such assistance in prior years due to the low pay scales.

How long does it take to process the paperwork? How much money will one need to have between the application, when the savings must already be gone, until the actual provision of benefits?

6. Anonymous

Southern did you have to pay taxes on it at the end of the year?

7. Southernborn

Yes...when we filled income taxes. That's been 9 years ago..not sure how this stuff works these days...luckily last time I had surgery...we have sick pay for the first week then disability kicks in..I was back to work after a week!

8. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

whats bull??? cut and paste so all of our inquiring minds will know what the heck you are talking about.

9. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

If you paid for the insurance now you would not have to pay taxes but if your employer pays any of the premium it is also taxable income so you have a significant reduction for the period.

http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq4-9.htm

I am receiving long-term disability. Is it considered taxable?

Generally, you must report as income any amount you receive for your disability through an accident or health insurance plan paid for by your employer.

If both you and your employer have paid the premiums for the plan, only the amount you receive for your disability that is due to your employer's payments is reported as income. If you pay the entire cost of a health or accident insurance plan, do not include any amounts you receive for your disability as income on your tax return. If you pay the premiums of a health or accident insurance plan through a cafeteria plan, and the amount of the premium was not included as taxable income to you; the premiums are considered paid by your employer, and the disability benefits are fully taxable.

Refer to Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, for more details. If the amounts are taxable, you can submit a Form W-4S (PDF), Request for Federal Income Tax Withholding, to the insurance company, or make estimated tax payments by filing Form 1040-ES (PDF), Estimated Tax for Individuals.

Amounts you receive from your employer while you are sick or injured are part of your salary or wages. Report the amount you receive on the line for Wages, salaries, tips, etc, on Form 1040 (PDF); Form 1040A (PDF); Form 1040EZ (PDF). You must include in your income sick pay from any of the following:

A welfare fund.
    A state sickness or disability fund.
    An association of employers or employees.
    An insurance company, if your employer paid for the plan.

10. MrDj

MrDj Well-Known Member

Welfare fraud is defined as a deception deliberately practiced to secure unfair or unlawful gain.

Now that is my biggest problem with people taking advantage of the system.

It doesn't matter what race or sex someone is if they need short term help they should be able to get it.

However with all the fraud going on the people who really need the help get left out in the cold.

Just my opinion.

11. Southernborn

If they are really mentally or physically disabled..then they would be on disability and social security (that they paid in while they were healthy) and wouldn't be on welfare!

^^speaking from my sister who was a practioner..until they discovered she has two really rare diseases that puts her life at risk on a daily basis. It still makes her sick to her stomach to know she can never work again and that has been 8 years since they made her stop working!

Don't even get me started on the welfare thing! My brothers first wife raised her two kids on welfare after they were divorced. That welfare cycle repeats itself...now my neice has 3 kids (she can't afford) and is on welfare. My thing is...I've worked my ars off since I was 18 to have what I have....no one gave me 1 single thing...I've earned it all...if you are healthy either get a JOB or get a free education so you can get a job! You can make it happen if you want it...and if you are welfare..don't have any more babies for my ars to support!

12. Anonymous

I agree 100%!!!

13. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

I'm just going to keep my big mouth shut! :mrgreen:

14. blessed

blessed Well-Known Member

My dad left us when I was 6 and my brother was a baby. My mother tried that child support thing, but, evertime she tried to get his"wages attached", as they used to call it, he'd quit his job.

My mother had a very hard time getting a job. She was the stay-at-home mom out of the 60's. Most women did not work and some weren't qualified. Face it, years ago women mainly grew up and married and had kids. Not all women, but most.

We had no car and no income. We had to have assistance. We were on welfare for a while. But my mother did finally get job at a hospital in the dietary department/cafeteria. She would walk 2 miles to the hospital and 2 miles home. Sometimes late at night when she worked 2nd shift too. She was almost attacked one night. I woke up at about 12:30/1:00 am and she was still not home. She got off at 11:00 pm. Finally a car pulled up and a man from a local VFW had seen her and helped her and brought her home. It was then that my grandparents got her a car.

Now here I am. I have a car and a job. But it is still hard to maintain. The average family that really needs help, can't get it. My husband and I busted our behinds but sometimes it was real hard. Now we are doing alot better.

I don't knock welfare. I knock the people who ABUSE welfare. We need to differentiate. Welfare is a good system if it is used properly. I feel the same about DSS and child abuse situations. There is alot of bogus cases of people who are not abusers getting a bad wrap while these ones tht are horribly abusive get away with it on technical crap.

15. Anonymous

I know there is a need for assistance even for the ones that aren't mentally or physically handicapped. My whole point is that there needs to be a better program for people on welfare. There are some people that would rather collect then look for a job. Some that make up every excuse in the book as to why they can't even go look for a part time job. There are excuses but there are solutions. I was a single mom for over 5 yrs, no family here but I still manage to work.

I would rather see someone that has been laid off and is looking for work or taking what ever he/she can as far as work get some assistance than someone that is just sitting around living off of others. If someone is on food stamps then instead of going to parties and concerts and spending the money you should be using to feed your family they should be out there looking for a job or an education to get a job.

16. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

Problem is, 99% of those on it are chronic abusers.

It also sounds like your mom wouldn't have had a problem with working for the assistance.

17. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

cleopatra wrote
    Heres a kleenex, :lol:

blessed wrote

I don't believe this,,an Honest person,I wonder how many people on this board has ever recieved assistance and aren't admitting it :wink:

18. Anonymous

Just out of curiosity I would like to know why 3 people voted no.

19. blessed

blessed Well-Known Member

I have a whole box of kleenex if ya want them. :?

Yes. We had no car and no income. No computers to go online to find a job back then. No family around to take you places. You walked where you had to go. The closest family we had was 3 hours away. When we did visit them after my mom got the job and had a little money, we walked to the bus station, took 2 buses and then walked 3 blocks to their house.

I see that some noticed that I stated we were on welfare for awhile and that my mother did finally get a job. But NO ONE managed to comment on the part that she was nearly ATTACKED while walking home from one. :?

I do not condone welfare for people not trying. But I think if you are trying, and need assistance you should get it. You never know when you might be in the same situation. NEVER say never. Because you can just believe that when you do, you will find yourself right where you don't want to be. People who live in glass houses should NEVER throw stones. :wink:

I think the whole system should be reworked actually from welfare to child abuse to elderly care. And if you pay taxes, when you are in a bind, you should get the help you need.

20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I voted no, because your options of Yes and No to the following question were to limited!
    If you had an option of "or a verified reason for not working" (such as physically or mentally unable, pursuing education or due to the lack of infrastructure harm to the children). I personally believe that in excess of 90% of these individuals (even some with mental / physical disabilities can provide some type of service even if it is a government job).

Regarding an inquiry about people in the system, I was one when growing up, my father after the divorce refused to pay child support because he believed that my brother genetically was not his (quite probable but not an excuse to abandon your two other offspring). Because of this we survived on food stamps for a number of years.

Regarding the seemingly low value limit on cars, two of my three vehicles are blue book valued at less that $500 and are mechanically in great shape (and with the exception of my airport car, appearance is immaculate). If your vehicles are maintained there is no reason to need a $10,000 vehicle.

P.S. There was a warrant for my fathers arrest for a number of years, one year the IRS held my refunds thinking I was him, what a mess trying to prove to the government that I did not breed myself! :D