Welfare

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Anonymous, Aug 4, 2006.

?

If someone is on welfare and receiving food stamps do you think they should have to be in a program

1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

The question states if they are capable!!!

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Personally the closest I have come was unemployment benefits which are for a limited time and does "require" you look for a job.

That being said I know people now that work the system and they know how to, I know one personally that if the parent were a reposnsible parent or took some actions towards her daughter that her daughter would be 17 years old with 2 kids and no education. The parent makes do, while her daughter takes full advantage of WIC, medicare/cade (which ever it is), and any other hand out she can get, and lives at home with mommy while getting the hand outs and waits for her "boyfriend" (father or both children) to get out of prison.

Yes it sounds like a redneck soap opera, but that is honestly how it is with this family. The boyfriend who is in prison is in there for having sex with a minor, and arson (burned down a buddies house for the insurance money or atleast that is what he claims happened).

And to think that a little intervention from the parent could have prevented all of this drain on the hard working public (atleast where her daughter is concerned).

Craig

3. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

That clause will be ignored because it is just what I said.... a scam to buy votes.

4. Oy Yayoy

Behavior 101: You get more of the behavior which you reward.

5. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I know, but "capable" can mean different things, in my examples most would be "capable", but not all of them should work.
    :D

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Ed, you can add your definition of "is" one liner here :D

7. Anonymous

:shock: nit picking! lol

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I was responding to to Tammy, who now all of a sudden jumped back into the thread... after reading all of the responses of course. 8)

9. Anonymous

Posted 15 times on this subject. Didn't know I had to post a certain amount of times. Get a life. You haven't added anything important on the subject.

10. Cleopatra

Of course I have, I supply the witty commentary... and you provide the drama. See? We each have a purpose.

*snort, what is that message board comeback number 2 or 3? <yawn>

So, tell us more about Welfare. Or, are you on Unemployment again this time?

11. MrDj

MrDj Well-Known Member

Were is all the confusion coming from?
    If someone is mentally and physically capable of working why are they collecting money and or food stamps and medical?
    It isn't a question of anyone in particular.
    My tax dollars just like most of yours pays for these people to abuse the system and sometimes even commit fraud.
    So like the first question said if some one is capable.
    It should be black and white.
    This proud American has a problem with other Americans abusing something that should be their to help if needed not abused.

12. ImTheNormal0ne

ImTheNormal0ne Well-Known Member

ok :-D gotcha

13. Oy Yayoy

14. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

http://www.alternet.org/story/18313/

Here's one way our President proposes to "support our troops": According to his 2005 budget, the extra pay our soldiers receive for serving in combat zones -- about $150 a month -- will no longer count against their food stamp eligibility. This budget provision, if approved, should bring true peace of mind to our men and women on the front lines. From now on, they can dodge bullets in Iraq with the happy assurance that their loved ones will not starve as a result of their bravery.

Military families on food stamps? It's not an urban myth. About 25,000 families of servicemen and women are eligible, and this may be an underestimate, since the most recent Defense Department report on the financial condition of the armed forces -- from 1999 -- found that 40 percent of lower-ranking soldiers face "substantial financial difficulties." Senator Harry Reid, Democrat of Nevada, reports hearing from constituents that the Army now includes applications for food stamps in its orientation packet for new recruits.

The poverty of the mightiest military machine on Earth is no secret to the many charities that have sprung up to help families on U.S. military bases, like the church-based Feed the Children, which delivers free food and personal items to families at twelve bases. Before 9/11, trucks bearing free food from a variety of food pantries used to be able to drive right on to the bases. Now they have to stop outside the gates, making the spectacle of military poverty visible to any passerby

15. MrDj

MrDj Well-Known Member

Wow I thought that Tammy started this thread.
    She also posted 15 times before your comment about her jumping back in here.
    You are showing an unhealthy amount of attention to her. Gotta wonder why. Are you in love? Obsessed? Who knows.
    Facts are facts and that's what this should be about.
    I guess as an American you don't mind supporting all these freeloaders.

16. Cleopatra

Just calling a spade a spade, Mike. :?

17. MrDj

MrDj Well-Known Member

Who is Mike?
    See you don't know your facts!

18. ForeverFaithful

ForeverFaithful Well-Known Member

I just thought I would pop in here and admit that years ago I also received some assistance. I got housing assistance, section 8 to be exact. I was working, living on like $800 a month, raising 2 kids on my own (ex had quit at that time paying child support, until I eventually took him back to court), trying to pay rent, utliities, groceries, day care, etc and was driving a big orange GMC truck that had no rear view mirror or seat belts (was my mom's bosses work truck...my dad surprised me one day and bought me a car because he didn't want me driving that big old truck anymore), but was only on it for maybe a year and a half. AT that time, my now hubby had moved in and was helping out with everything and we were planning our wedding and I took myself off of assistance. Did not qualify for food stamps. Was told I made $20 over what their cut off was a month! But just wanted to show that there are honest people out there.

That's all I have to say now.

19. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

You're kidding, right? Try better planning. Start the paperwork BEFORE you use up your savings. Or even better...get a job. :roll: You don't wait until the fire has consumed your house before calling 911, right? If you lose your job, get another----pronto. Not after laying around figuring out how you can leech off of others as efficiently as possible and still spend your savings on something you'd really enjoy. :roll:

1. If the President had nothing to do with it...why did he spend so much time and energy taking credit for it?

2. Wikipedia? LOL! You are using Wikipedia as your source? ROTFLMOL!!!! Home of the "anyone-can-edit-and-say-what-ever-they-want" information highway. :roll:

3. I have worked since the summer of my 9th grade year. I didn't own a car until I was 18. When my ex and I split up, I had no car. I managed for 3 months until I could buy a used car for just this side of $1000.00. Sorry, don't buy that "got no car so I can't work" B.S. Does the word "bus line" mean anything to you? How about "friends and family can help with transportation". Or even beter, how about living near your job or the busline?

Here's a lesson in life for you. A car is one of those things you get AFTER the job is found and money is earned. One doesn't get a free car so one can get a job, you know. Everyone has to start somewhere, but apparently you feel people should get to start at least somewhere in the middle - with the help of taxpayer money. Wrong answer.

Here's another life lesson for you. Dignity and respect are earned, not given. You can feel dignified when you have acted with dignity. Living off the money others have earned does not earn one any dignity.

Lastly, on the savings issue. There are many, many folks who work hard full time, pay their bills, raise their kids...and don't have enough for a savings account of ANY size. Yet you expect their tax money to pay the living expenses for someone who ISN'T working...so they can have a savings account. Did it ever occur to you that those working folks who can't afford a savings account might like that tax money that was taken from their paycheck...to start their OWN savings account? Afterall...they earned it, not the freeloader.

I apologize for my tone, but I swear...you liberals who think hard working people are obligated to sacrifice their hard-earned cash for someone who doesn't think they should do the same for themselves, make me so mad I could puke a bulldog off the midnight **** train. :evil:

20. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Wayne...do you ever use any reliable sources? I mean something other than radical left-wing rags and Wiki-what's it?

I'm just waiting for you to drop the bomb on us and quote from Rawstory. :lol: