Welfare

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Anonymous, Aug 4, 2006.

?

If someone is on welfare and receiving food stamps do you think they should have to be in a program

1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

And you, FF...are a prime example of who we aren't talking about. You were working. Out of curiosity, were you working towards any type of training or way to increase your income?

The only reason I ask is that there is a difference between folks who use assistance as a bridge while they go through a life change (such as you, for instance). And while walking across that bridge, are going back to school or working towards bettering their position...

...and someone who is collecting and spending their time trying to find a way to collect more.

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

No, I am capable of reading the prior posts and actually remembering the stipulations for being given such assistance. One of which was not having a savings account. I have included the post and highlighted the section for you.

Such clear insight to the situations people might encounter is remarkable. Who can argue with "get a job .. pronto" when discussing whether someone might need assistance. :roll:

Sure, things like food, shelter and medicine are enjoyable to most of us .... Of course we know from the posters here who have used these programs there are nothing but leeches on them.

Didn't say he had nothing to do with it, but you said it had nothing to do with the GOP pushing the program which could not have happened.

I assumed something as simple as the history of Newt would be something you would only need a bit of reminder, but since you are evidently just trying to stick your fingers in your ears and shout "la la la" at the top of your voice .. try this set of references and see if you can refute them.

http://www.theglobalist.com/DBWeb/AuthorBiography.aspx?AuthorId=36

Newt Gingrich served as a Member of Congress for 20 years and as Speaker of the U.S. House of Representatives from 1995-1999.

He is widely recognized as the chief architect of the Republican Contract with America and the key strategist and leader behind the 1994 Republican victory, which created the first GOP majority in Congress in 40 years, and the 1996 and 1998 victories that retained that majority for the first time in 74 years.

http://www.newt.org/backpage.asp?art=63

6. The Personal Responsibility Act (Contract With America item): "The Welfare bill I signed last week gives America a chance, but not a guarantee ..." (Clinton, 8/29/96)

A major victory for Newt, the Republican Congress passed welfare reform August 1, 1996. It requires all able bodied welfare recipients to find work and offers families a hand up, not a hand out. Clinton vetoed welfare reform twice.

10. The Welfare-to-Work Tax Credit: "I propose also to give businesses a tax credit for every person hired off welfare ..." (Clinton, 8/29/96)

Newt and Congress passed the Work Opportunity Tax Credit on August 2, 1996, giving employers a 35 percent tax credit for wages paid to long-term AFDC recipients, certain food stamp recipients, and high-risk youth

How about giving the bus schedules for the non-urban areas for us? why stop with friends and family and just have them just get a job or better yet just be born wealthy.

You ignore the problem of people needing assistance after they are established to a certain degree and not just starting out. As for taxpayer money being spent, I can pretty well guarantee I pay more in taxes than you in all aspects.

I can agree with that and can honestly say that you have earned neither in this postion.

So husbands/wives who do not work outside the home to make money have no dignity nor do children or other dependents. No charity is dignified so why bother with it .....

No, but that is a good logical fallacy on your part since you stated they should plan ahead and then penalize them for doin gjust that. Since they do not qualify unless and until the savings are exhausted they cannot apply until they qualify, which is the Catch-22 being referenced.

Yes, there are always those who hate to pay taxes to better the society as a whole.

I suppose those who have problems should just go ahead and die so there are no such problems ...until you are the one who has been affected and then you will want the programs to help you because you paid all of those taxes ... and the rest of us are repeating your words to you.

3. Wayne Stollings

Nah I used one of the biggest liars around ... Newt.Org ... :lol: :lol:

4. Wayne Stollings

Yes you are talking about people like this as they are the ones who will probably have some savings and a car, which as you say are not necessary and should be used up before getting any assistance as was referenced in the Catch-22 post ..... :wink:

5. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

I'll address just this one part of your post because it's late, I'm tired, and it spoke loudest to me.

No...they needn't die, they simply need to do what needs to be done. Sacrifice, live lean, work hard, stop whining and stop making excuses. Set priorities, and understand that no one is responsible for you and yours...but you and yours.

As for "one who has been affected"...don't speak about that which you know absolutely nothing about.

That fact is that I did need those programs. At one point in my life, I had been paying taxes into the welfare system for over 14+ years....more than enough, I would say, to cause me to be warranted to use just a bit of those resources when I needed them.

I was working and going to school to better my earning power, but my husband and I had just split and I had a baby to care for. My ex was refusing to pay his child support and I was awaiting a court date for that. This was during the great baby formula price gouging and formula was outrageously priced. I was able to pay bills and living expenses with what I made working, but the formula was just too expensive and cracked my tight budget. So I went to get assistance. All I needed was enough WIC to help me pay for formula to carry me to my court date where I hoped the judge would make my ex pay CS or pay the consequences. Even just a bit of emergency assistance would have helped.

But you see...I was denied. Because I had a court order for CS. Didn't matter he wasn't paying what the court ordered...just the piece of paper saying he was supposed to, seemed to make the WIC folks think I was getting pennies from heaven and didn't deserve WIC. I remember walking out of the case worker's office in tears, looking at all the baby-mommas waiting to apply for the money they would have no problem getting, being as though they didn't even know who the father of their children was. They would be getting the money that I had paid into the system over the years...but I would not. Did I know their full case history? No, but listening to their conversations while I awaited my turn to see a case worker gave me enough of a clue.

So, I quit school for the rest of the semester and got a 2nd job so I could buy baby formula. It made me heartsick because I was so close to finishing school...but I did what I had to do, and set my immediate priorities.

Here's the clincher. The judge made him pay and threatened him with jail if he didn't pay on time ongoing, so my budget was covering everything once again. However, when I went to go back to school the following semester, I had lost my tuition grant because I had quit mid-semester. I wasn't able to go back to school until almost 10 years later, when I could afford to pay for it on my own.

So don't give me your "you don't understand what it's like" speech. You know nothing about which you speak. Nuff said.

6. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Waving the flag again for "Magnolia" for president! :D

Awesome posts!!!!

7. Wayne Stollings

A very big assumption on your part don't you think? Given your lack of knowledge on what I know, but that does fit in with the overt generalizations against the support system and then trying to say those that actually need the help are not included in the smear.

Which fits EXCATLY into what I said does it not?

And that is different from the points made about having a savings account or vehicle considered to be worth over a certain amount being grounds for the denial of assistance in what way?

You should have asked your friends and family for assistance as you so easily advise for others. (sarcasm in case you do not recognize it here)

Since I did not give you such a speech it is a moot point. I did say that this would be the case until you were the one needing help and then it would be acceptable because you paid taxes. Here is the quote again for you.

And the reply that confirmed this statement

You just thought you needed them, you could have gotten another job, which you did. You could have asked for help from charities, friends, relatives, or begged on the street corner. Of course, not all of these will apply to everyone or every case, but that has not prevented their presentation as being the options available. The theoretical application of options is always so much easier than the reality in my experience. You are out of work? Get a job quick. No matter if the local economy has tanked and there may be more looking for work than there are jobs. Have a car? Sell it and ride the bus. No matter the large areas without bus service it is still an option. If there is any potential abuse of the system plaster that loophole closed and do not worry if you also exclude some of those who would need the assistance .. it is their worry. Is this a benefit for our socuety as a whole? Not in my opinion, but then again I have empathy for people's varied situation. It could be that I learned it growing up in and around poverty or just because I take the time to look and not jump to generalized conclusions. It could also be because I realize just how much luck plays in the sucesses in life. Luck kept me alive and whole at times, while others suffered and died because of bad luck. Thus I can relate to the statement "But for the grace of God there go I" when discussing such things because I know just how true it is.

8. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

ROFLMAO!!

Mike Tyson!! Say "Hello" to Robin for me. :lol:

9. Raven

Raven Well-Known Member

cleopatra wrote
    I see you're in rare form this morning :lol: :lol:
    hows the jiggling working

10. Fighting Camel

Fighting Camel Well-Known Member

Amazing how some people will be so quick to point out that they never received government assistance...yet forget about the $9,000 a year the State of North Carolina pays for them (or their child) to go to a UNC system university. $1,800 for a private university/college.

11. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Huh... what you talkin'bout willis?

12. Ecugyrl

Ecugyrl Well-Known Member

If that is the case, how am I (the student) still 33,000 in the hole from loans. WHATEVER

13. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Cause the state didn't pay anything towards your 4 years worth of food, room & board, clothes, alcohol, etc. :wink:

I have a freshman at ECU this year so I know that in-state tuition is $2001.50 per semester. At orientation I heard that in-state students pay just 19% of their tuition, and the state picks up the rest of the tab.

14. Ecugyrl

Sorry to disappoint, but that is not toward room and board, my parents paid for the dorm and food and my apartment...but what killed me was graduate school. The STATE OFFERS NO HELP FOR GRAD STUDENTS....but oh well

15. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

So what ya'll are saying is that out-of-state students don't actually pay "extra" tuition, but rather they pay full tuition and in-state kids get a break because they use hometown schools?

16. Ecugyrl

Oh yeah, I didn't drink my parents money away. I worked and went to school...never partied downtown, but thanks for the assumptions....they get tossed my way a lot because I went to school there, I am used to it.

Tell your son good luck, he will love it.

17. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

Mrs. Oy just finished her degree in May, which she got while working full time. We paid full tuition, books, etc. The only help we got was from the president's tax relief allowing one to deduct tuition.

A leftist would have confiscated our hard-earned money and given it to a welfare queen in West Philadelphia to pay for her 5th infanticide, or maybe to pay for a Medicaid sex-change operation.

18. Ecugyrl

Okay, since I am on a roll here....and this is a welfare topic. I think....that "welfare" or for lack of a better term, grants...for kids to go to school should be accessible. I think that if a kid has a desire to go to school whether or not mom or dad can afford it, the burden should not be placed on the student who has worked hard to get to college. I see a lot of kids these days who won't even try for grants or scholarships because they say they cannot afford, YES THEY CAN.....you have to take advantage of the grants out there. Lucky for me, where my loan got huge was when I entered grad school. I did not want my parents to pay, so I paid what I could, while working a full time job and traveling to Gville once a week, I took out a loan for the rest. Loans are avaliable for anyone really, the only kicker is paying the baby back when you are done. So I agree with the state offering help to kids who want to go to college and cannot afford it, take what you can get...and whether they choose that route or not, is up to them......

19. Wayne Stollings

So she registered as "out of state student" as opposed to a resident "in state student" to pay the full tuition?

With the confusion rampant in your posts it is hard to tell what you mean at times.

20. Wayne Stollings

If not for the in state tuition breaks you would have been even farther in debt than you are now. If you were to have paid the out of state tuition rate what would your debt have been now?