What book are you reading?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ferrickhead28, Nov 28, 2007.

1. CrazyFabulous

CrazyFabulous Well-Known Member

isnt the shack great?! mix of emotions for sure!

2. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

it's crazy....that's about all I can think of....the way its being portrayed. I am a little over half way....Can't wait to see how it ends.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

its a little crazy, but very good! :lol:

4. CrazyFabulous

i will read it again, maybe after cleo.

i still have your chelsea book.....dh loved it! ;)

5. hhicshg

hhicshg Well-Known Member

I read The Shack before Christmas and loved it. I have suggested it to many friends and shared it with others. It made me see things from a different perspective is all I can say. I will probably read it again if I can get my hands on it...

6. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

Welp!

I finished My Sister's Keeper and it was sooo good! From people whom have seen the movie tell me the book and the movie have different endings. I'm afraid now to watch the movie for fear of it ruining the book for me. :?

I heard about The Shack this past weekend and I look forward to reading that one. I've heard nothing but rave reviews.

7. KellBell

The perspective is quite different......you said a mouthful.

8. Ron Still

Ron Still Well-Known Member

Read: THE GUERNSEY LITERARY AND POTATO PEEL PIE SOCIETY

The Cleveland Library has been circulating The Shack for months and our Society book has been on the NY Times Best list for weeks this summer. The Guernsey book has been a rave fav of the women this summer and has been widely praised by the staff at Quail Ridge Books. It is hard cover fiction-romance and we have it displayed. We are waiting for delivery of a copy of A Yellow Watermelon by Ted Dunagan, as well as Cracker's Mule, about 1950s Alabama farm life, and Little Brother Real Snake, a Native American novel, both by young adult author Billy Moore - New South Books.

Ted Dunagan received the Georgia Author of the Year award in the Young Adult category for A Yellow Watermelon, his debut novel, in a ceremony held June 13 at the KSU Center in Kennesaw, Georgia.

According to Katherine Mason, Assistant Professor of English Education at Kennesaw State University and lead judge of the Young Adult category:
    “A Yellow Watermelon reveals the power of friendship and loyalty to overcome racial and economic prejudice in 1940s South Alabama. Told from twelve-year-old Ted Dillon’s point of view, the story is suspenseful and captivating, with authentic dialogue and engaging sentence variety.”

The Author of the Year award, the oldest literary competition in the southeast, is sponsored by the Georgia Writers Association. Read more about Ted᾿s achievement from the Georgia Writers Association website and The Monticello News.

A Yellow Watermelon is available from your favorite local or online book retailer, by calling NewSouth Books at (334) 834-3556, or order online or read excerpts from the book atwww.newsouthbooks.com/watermelon.

Our patron survey said to pull all duplicates and give them more titles. We are, as fast as our volunteers can work.

We have 6,600 titles in traditional paperbacks on the shelves in the upper room. Thank the Baptist Men for the new shelves. More to come. Our existing sorted categories are General Fiction, Sci-Fi/Fantasy, Mystery, Western, Non-Fiction, Horror, and Romance. We are still getting them in alphabetical order by author.

6,000 kids thin quick and easy reads on the shelves in the lower room (hundreds available on the librarian's excess sale shelf - you can buy low priced clearance books so we can buy high priced new books for you).

Let us know what you want to read so we can keep an eye out for it.

Library info: http://4042needs.org/library/

9. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Hey Ron, we are loving "Donkey Donkey"... it might be late. ;)

10. seabee

seabee Guest

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Just finished Quickie by James Patterson and Dark Summer by Iris Johansen. They were both great reads out by the pool!

12. bystander

bystander Well-Known Member

I love anything by Stuart Woods - intriguing page turners!
    I've also enjoyed David Baldacci

I've read both of Amanda Lamb's books - Deadly Dose - the one about Eric Miller and Smotherhood which is an off beat, somewhat twisted look at her life and parenting her 2 daughters. both of these books are at the Garner Library

13. KellBell

I forgot about Amanda Lamb's book....I want to read that for sure. True Crime is my favorite type book to read. thanks for the reminder.

14. seabee

seabee Guest

Quickie is a book??? :confused::confused:

All along I thought it was something else... :twisted:

15. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

:boxing:

:jester:

16. CrazyFabulous

reading my sisters keeper now. sigh.....:cry:

17. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

The Shack by William P. Young

18. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

I just finished reading Three Cups of Tea. What an amazing story! Mountaineer Greg Mortenson, who wandered into a remote village in the mountains of Pakistan where he was cared for and nursed back to health, promises to come back and build a school. This is the story of how he kept his promise, against unimaginable odds, and over the next decade built not one, but 55 schools. It's the story, in the words of the book's subtitle, of one man's mission to promote peace, once school at a time.
    https://www.ikat.org/

19. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I just finished that (just now). Read the first half on Labor Day and then picked it up and finished it today. I liked the beginning and ending better than the middle where it got a little drawn out, but definitely a book worth reading. I usually read Stephen King and the like, so this was a real departure for me. The book I read before this was The Last Lecture. Definitely a tear-jerker!

20. Oh KDs! I just read the children's version for one of my classes at school. It's called Listen to the Wind. We had to come up with lesson plans we could use with this book. I love it! I can't wait to read the adult version that you read. You should see all the pretty collages Susan L. Roth adds to the children's book. Greg Mortenson is truly an amazing person. I let my daugher read the book to me so she could see that in some countries school is a luxury. Kids really want to go to school in Pakistan. Here in America, a lot of times, school is taken for granted.