what was burning on or near cleveland school and lee trace?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ws, Feb 10, 2008.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

That's exactly what happened and they DID water it down Saturday. I guess the wind was just so strong that it stirred it up again. I'm sure this person feels horrible about it.

2. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

Well - thats good to know. Yes, I'm sure they do feel terrible about it. Glad everyone and their houses were okay!

3. michelle

Me too! I feel so bad about the horse that doesn't have a home anymore. I hope someone will board him for the man until he can rebuild a barn. I would love to if I had somewhere for him to run. He was pur-ty!

4. rntobe

rntobe Well-Known Member

My thanks to all the firefighters that responded yesterday. My backyard was burned 1/2 way to the house if the wind had been blowing the other way it could have been lost. Also, thanks to my neighbor that noticed the fire and called 911 quickly. I don't know what exactly caused the fire but feel very fortunate today to only have to replace several fence boards.

5. michelle

Glad to hear that! Yes, it could have been so much worse.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Actually, the burn ban is off. In this case, it appears to be an accident and a lack of common sense. Even with all safety measures taken, the weather just was not agreeable for burning.

7. michelle

As windy as it was I'm surprised they could even light a match or a lighter~

8. michelle

I'm not sure but I don't think there was a burn ban on Saturday??

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

I just saw/talked to the Forestry Guys, they were back out checking on a few spots. (@ 12 noon) The guys said they were burning a small area.

So you might see some more smoke today.

BUT if you see a LOT of smoke - call it in!

10. michelle

On purpose? Wonder why?

11. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

DH has been checking and there has been a ban for the last several days. But if you ask the fire marshall for JOCO you can burn within 100 feet of your property. Which we think is crazy since it's so dry and water is in short supply.

12. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

within 100 feet of your house

13. The numbers were figured today. Over 50 acres burned. 10 departments responded not including Forestry Service, Red Cross, & EMS units. Approx. 80 responders on scene. 26 homes threatened. The scene was run really well considering the circumstances. Thanks to our community for all your support.

14. DMJmom

DMJmom Well-Known Member

Yes there was a burn ban Saturday. I was at my cabin in the mountains, and my hubby started a small fire in the new fire pit we got for xmas. At the same time I went on WRAL to check on the news, and the first thing that popped up was a story about the possibility for fires over the weekend and the burn ban was on. Needless to say, his fire was put out pretty quickly that night.

15. INTHEBUFF

INTHEBUFF Well-Known Member

Yep, I have a neighbor that has a yard maintenance business (as so many people do these days) and he brings home all his customers crap to burn in his backyard, probably within the 100 feet of his backdoor. I called to complain and see if something could be done about it and was told that he was in his rights to burn yard debri, nothing they could do about it.

16. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Alot of times they'll coordinate "controlled fires" in an effort to prevent wildfires, environmental agencies or foresty departments work with local fire depts on these efforts.