What's your favorite Thanksgiving side?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by nsanemom22, Nov 20, 2009.

1. nsanemom22

nsanemom22 Well-Known Member

Besides the usual stuffing and potatoes I mean... What do you like to fix or hope some one else fixes. I want to take something to the MILs but don't know what.

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

Hmm...............my personal favorite is my Grandmothers homemade yeast rolls, but that isn't going to help YOU any, LOL. My uncle makes a great fresh cranberry dish using orange juice and who knows what else. He makes a good egg nog cheesecake too.

Go to the Foodnetwork website, they have tons of recipes. I've seen several I'd like to try on the Kraft foods website too. Good luck!!

3. pocahontas

pocahontas Well-Known Member

My kids love butternut squash. I like a fruit salad that my mom always makes with raspberry and cherry jello, it has chopped up apples and bananas as well as fruit cocktail and mandarin oranges in it, sometimes she will put chopped pecans or finely chopped celery in it too...I like it instead of the typical cranberry sauce/salad. An extra pie is always welcome--pumpkin is the standard that is always at our table, so it is nice if there is a second kind like apple or mincemeat or even some other kind of dessert like fudge.

4. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Since I was little a family favorite has been an aunts green bean recipe. She cooks up 1/2 pkg of bacon (remove from pan, pat grease off and chop up), then an large yellow onion chopped up and cooked in the bacon drippings, then add a package of frozen french style green beans, add the bacon back in and cover and let simmer until beans are cooked through. Then sprinkle with slivered almonds. I started making it for DH's family, and now it is a requirement. His family prefers it without the almonds though, so I leave those out now.

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Is pecan pie considered a *side* :mrgreen:

6. pocahontas

YES:hurray:

7. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Cooked green beans topped with sauteed onions and buttered breadcrumbs.
    Glazed mini carrots.
    Someone else brought a corn pudding made with fresh corn last year-real good!
    I also like mashed sweet potatoes with butter in it,don't like the one's with the marshmallows,especially not as a side,maybe as a desert instead.

8. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

sweet tators with crushed pecans on top!! yummo

9. seabee

seabee Guest

Stiff egg nogg...:cheers:

10. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Down East oysters on half shell.

11. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I make the best sweet potatoe casserole that everyone BEGS me to bring...it's kinda like Sassymom said, sweet potatoes with a pecan/brown sugar crust and a little bit of ummph.....it's the best thing ever.

and helltothedamn NO, marshmallows don't come anywhere near it.

12. Luvgoose1

Luvgoose1 Well-Known Member

I need a good recipe for that! I usually make my sweet potato puff with marshmallows but have had it with the crunchy, sweet nut topping. I think people mix something in with the crushed nuts.

13. sassymom

sassymom Well-Known Member

I think Kells is what my mom does, I have never made it, maybe kell will post hers

14. My husband :twisted:

15. pocahontas

My mom always put some spices...a little cinnamon and vanilla I think...and a small can of crushed pineapple in her sweet potatoes.

16. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I can post it this evening....no problem. And it's easy breezy!! And so yummy you'll almost want to put it with the desserts.

17. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

Fried squash and onions, zuchinni cassarole.

18. Jester

Jester Well-Known Member

I've always loved rice and gravy. At Thanksgiving and Christmas, I like giblet gravy!!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  19. LETSGOEERS!!!

LETSGOEERS!!! Well-Known Member

Grandma's monkey bread, deviled eggs, corn on the cob and green beans

20. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Crown and REGULAR Mt. Dew