Which Vista Version to use?

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by appcomm, Dec 10, 2007.

1. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

Not by my choice, it looks like I'm going to have to purchase some laptops for business use with Vista as the operating system. Here's the list I have to choose from for the various flavors of Vista:

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Basic
    Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium
    Genuine Windows Vista® Business
    Genuine Windows Vista® Ultimate

From those of you who have been using Vista - can you give me a rundown on what is the main difference between versions, and, from personal experience, any versions you would avoid and why.

TIA.

<slinking back to the command line!>

2. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I will ask the wife!

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 1501 that has Windows Vista Home Premium...Its not compatible with any Word Format from the past, so that is very frustrating. Other than that, for what I use it for, it is fine.

IF however, I was to run across someone with Windows XP software, Vista would go bye bye.

4. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

She says that if you want to do any kind of networking, avoid the two Home versions.

Ultimate is a waste of money.

5. IncognitO

IncognitO Well-Known Member

well i assume you want to connect over a net work so I say Vista Business. it doesn't have some of the media centric things of home premium but you probably don't need them, I agree, you don't need Ultimate

6. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Wish I could rid myself and this darned laptop of Vista...
    Vista is the worst platform I've ever had to use.

So, savvy folks, how do I upgrade back to Windows XP?

7. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

I believe if you contact Microsoft they will send you the "Downgrade Kit"

8. IncognitO

IncognitO Well-Known Member

but Vista has Bubbles for a screen saver

9. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Vista Basic

Vista Basic is just that - basic. The pretty screenshots you see of Vista probably show you what is called the Aero interface. Aero is the name given to the new eye candy contained in Vista. But, the Basic version does not include it. So, essentially, Vista Basic is a Windows upgrade which is going to look much more like the older Windows XP. Basic is usually what comes on newer PCs that are not all that powerful. The Aero interface requires some computer horsepower to run, so weaker machines using Vista will typically be running Vista Basic.

Vista Home Premium

Take Vista Basic and add Aero and a bunch of other crap and you have Vista Home Premium. Home Premium has the following additions over Basic:

* Aero interface
    * Vista Sideshow - allows you to use secondary displays that can display data when Windows is not running
    * Media Center
    * Scheduled Backup (although you can do this with other utilities so you don’t need Microsoft’s version)
    * DVD Maker
    * More Games

Of all of this, the only thing that is cool is the Aero interface. Everything else is not that useful and/or could be done with third-party software.

Vista Business

Take Vista Home Premium, remove Media Center, and add remote desktop, scheduled backup, and fax capabilities, and you pretty much have Vista Business. In short, they have taken the multimedia stuff OUT of Vista, included stuff they thought would be useful to a business, and released it as a Vista flavor. You do not need Vista Business in order to have web serving capability. I am using Home Premium and could easily install IIS7 web server from the disc.

But, again, you can do everything that is “new” with Vista Business easily using third-party software.

Vista Ultimate

OK, essentially throw in everything and you have Ultimate. It’s Home Premium and Business all in one.

taken from...
    http://www.pcmech.com/article/different-vista-versions-explained/

10. KellBell

You took the words right out of my mouth!!

11. peaches

peaches Well-Known Member

Husband has a new laptop with Home Premium, and he's networked to my desktop PC (XP). It took us 3 days to get it set up. Finally figured out that the Norton Security 2006 version that was PRE-INSTALLED is not compatible with Vista for networking. Go figure! Upgraded it (for free on Symantec site) to 2008 and it works now. If we had a choice....no Vista!

12. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Why not order the laptops with XP on them instead of Vista if you have to have a Windows OS?

I know that is what we do with all of our pc's and laptops here at my work. When we order them we get XP Pro as a OS instead of the Vista crap.

Craig

13. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Keep in mind if you are doing GPO's Vista will not be the way to go. XP Pro right now supports GPO's the best.

If you had to choose. Ultimate would be the way to go.

14. ServerSnapper

ServerSnapper Well-Known Member

Microsoft has mandated their partners start deploying Vista!! We get them in. Drop a RIS image on it and roll.

15. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

To answer the OP, the one that sucks the least? Is there such a version?

16. KellBell

My Dell Notebook came with it, I sure didn't ask for it!!:mrgreen:

17. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Must not be pushing too hard cause as I said my company is still currently ordering pcs and laptops with xp pro.

Craig

18. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input. After a search yesterday I was able to find a laptop model that will work for what I need AND it is available with XP Pro. I can continue to avoid Vista!

19. Grinder

Grinder Well-Known Member

Dell sent out a Christmas flyer for new pc's and you can still order XP Pro on it.

20. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Yeah....just what she said. Vista sucks