Who wants a good used bookstore in the area?

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by roygolf, Jul 27, 2010.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'm gonna grouse about the naysayers for Pauper's in this one too. How in the holy heck do you expect a store to stay in business? They can't give the stuff away for free you know. 8) Does the word "profit" mean anything? I imagine the rent is pretty stiff there, they have payroll to be sure and insurance and all that good stuff. You expect to stay open out of the goodness of their heart? If you want to pay yard sale prices, go to a yard sale. I do both. But I'm not going to begrudge a small LOCAL business that has to pay the bills. I shop there a couple times a month at least and am happy to have it. Better than nothing!

2. wsresident

wsresident Well-Known Member

Love the idea

I was just talking about this same thing to friends the other day. My only worry is that the minute you open it, a chain would finally decide to appear. However, I wouldn't think Barnes and Noble would be opening any new stores right now since they just announced the whole chain is up for sale. I think it would be a great idea, and I don't think having a store in Clayton would affect sales too much. I know I would go there if the prices were good. There is a used book store in Cary off Harrison Ave called Second Chance Books that would make a great store to model after. Good prices, good choices, and when you trade books rather than taking cash she gives you double the store credit that she would give in cash payout.

3. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Well-Known Member

Whoa there Hoss, we're living in obama nation. Profit = racism.

4. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

i wish we had a new bookstore too like Barnes and Noble or Borders. I always heard where to put a store is based on household incomes in the surrounding area and that the household income levels arent high enough in our area to get a store. i dont know how true that is but it sucks. i might be broke but i would buy books now!
    And even if that is true about incomes what about the tons of customers who would come (and spend) so they dont have to drive to Raleigh, Cary or elsewhere?

db's wife

5. wsresident

wsresident Well-Known Member

To roygolf

I spoke to the owner of the Second Chance Book Store in Cary this weekend. I mentioned that you were inquiring about opening a used book store in this area, and this is what she told me. She said she had actually tried to open her store in the White Oak shopping center back when it was being built. Problem was Barnes and Noble had an exclusivity contract with the shopping center because at the time, they intended to build a store there. They, as we all are aware, pulled out of the deal. She opened her store in her Cary location instead as her second choice. Made me mad when she mentioned it since it kept any other book store from putting a store there at the time.

She did say she would love to speak to you directly. She said she has enough books to get your store started. Her name is Mindy: http://2ndchancebooks.com/

I'm all about getting more choices in the area for books, I know I would be a regular customer. Hope this helpful to you.