Why??

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by Anonymous, Jan 21, 2006.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

ok, but how do i do a partition? Thanks!

2. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

When you pop the cd in, it will start loading files etc. It will get to a point where it asks where you'd like to install windows. At that point you will see your partitions, which will probably only be one. Choose that partition. The next screen will ask you if you want to format the partition. Do not use the quick format, use the first one. Once it's formatted, windows will begin to install.

PS. You do not want to repair windows.

3. Anonymous

Ok, space_cowboy......another question........do I need to do anything else besides this like unplug my printer, my dig. camera, and my cable modem and etc.????

4. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

No, but you will need to reload the drivers for each of those. They are located on the disk you got when you bought it.

5. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I hope you did a back-up on your data you wanted saved!!!!!!!!!!

That's STEP #1 before a "reformat" Ducky.

6. Anonymous

How do I do a back-up on my data?? I am computer dumb when it comes to things such as that........ :oops: :lol: thanks!

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Ducky,
    Don't do it if your not completely sure you can do it. From what you've told me so far I would advise against it without someone standing there helping you learn "how to" on this one.

Also, nothing personal, but I just don't think your PC savvy enough to get through that process without loosing data, or worst case, fouling the OS completely. Not to mention the steps it will take to re-register important software that was on the drive. The $40 to $60 you will spend to have someone take care of this for you will be well spent.

Here are some of the things you weren't told in here:
    1. After the re-install your going to have to go to Microsoft and register your software and do a complete reinstall of all the updates. This is going to take quite some time. Do you have your product key?
    2. A reinstall leaves you vulnerable to worms if you connect to the internet before activating the firewall and doing the updates.
    3. All the software you loaded outside of Win XP will have to be loaded again. Do you have all the CD's and product keys?

8. Anonymous

Thanks ddran, I'm glad you told me more of what all is needed to be done before I done it.......and by the way......I have decided not to do a reinstall.......but to deal with the HiJackThis popping up whenever it feels like showing it self on my desktop......I know...I should try and clear HiJackThis out of my system for good but you're right.....I'm not computer savvy to do all that.......so I'll leave it like it is.....I appreciate everyone's help with this.......:)