Willow Update

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by elims, Jun 1, 2006.

1. le

le Well-Known Member

Wow! That is confusing. Just think, by the time you have it down pat, Miss Willow will be all better! Best wishes to you both.

2. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

:shock: . Wow, elims! Hang in there. Hopefully the meds will work well, and Willow will be able to recover comfortably.

{hugs}
    Frogger

3. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Drug therapy isnt working yet ... starting to affect her liver (bad). It COULD be that the drugs are just taking their time working their way in to her system (likely!). She goes back in another two weeks for more tests. We're lowering the dose anyway because damaging the liver is ... 'bad'.

If this doesnt work, we may wean her off of -all- the medications, the long term affect of all the steroids are starting to hurt her, and see how her body reacts on it's own. It's possible it may at least hold steady at an acceptable, tho very low, platelet level.

I would LOVE to see her off of all meds since the effects do as much harm as good, but on the other hand, it could be deadly. Just makes your head spin, doesnt it?? :?

4. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

:( sorry to hear that elims

5. le

le Well-Known Member

It does make one's head spin and probably your stomach too. I sure hope that whatever needs to be decided and done gets that way asap so Miss Willow is as healthy and happy as can be.

In the meantime, I will think positive thoughts for the two of you. I wonder who is more supportive, you for her or her for you? Ya gotta love a good dog! Hang in there elims.

6. froggerplus

Oh, sweetie :(. Anything anyone can do? Probably not, I know, but we're here for ya!

Frogger

7. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Fever yesterday, but it broke by middle of the night. Only way I could tell it was a fever was when I'd hug her head, it was warm. The insides of her ears and her nose were warm and dry. (She's a big baby ... she likes to have her nose rubbed, or her head held when she's upset/sick/scared.) Her armpits and legs were warm as well. She goes back this next week for another blood test (CBC) and liver panel.

She only ate an ice cube yesterday, and she stopped at just one. Ice cubes (AKA "Water Biscuits") are her FAVORITE treat since she isnt allowed normal food or treats (inflammatory bowel disease). She wouldnt eat or drink, and was very lethargic. I got out the big dog bed (the 'sick bed' .. I only get it out when one of the dogs is sick or injured .. the 'patient' gets to lay on it and be king/queen for the day) and she slept on it most of the day, tho she kept opening her eyes to make sure I was still within eye-site.

Sometime in between 1 and 2am, the fever broke ... her head felt much cooler, and she was more lively, looking for her food. Since she's on steroids, she ALWAYS thinks she's starving.

Anyway, I'm sorry, I just wanted to share ... most of the people I know are like 'It's not like she's a human child!', but to me, she is. Every time she has a slide backwards, or something new comes up, I wonder how much longer she'll be with me. I have been so honored and priviledged to know her, and she's still just a baby (3.5).

I'll talk to the vet about this fever when we go in for tests.

8. le

le Well-Known Member

Ah, a true dog lover! Hang in there with her elims. Best Wishes.

9. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Dont have much of an update. Her last test result two weeks ago showed a slight increase in platelets ... very slight ... but still an increase (as opposed to a drop! Gotta look at it on the positive side!). But her liver tests were MUCH better, the doctor was really pleased to see that, so maybe the meds arent hurting her liver after all. She goes back on Thursday for MORE tests (same ones) to check her levels. We may start to lower her prednisone by a slight bit, since she was on it 11 months of last year, and now 6 months of this year.

She's still a happy loving puddin' head tho...

10. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

You're right stay positive... but from what you have said, it does sound pretty good! No liver damage is GREAT! Hang in there! :D

11. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Thanks for the update Elims, glad your baby is showing some improvement - please keep us posted - we do care.

12. froggerplus

A slight increase is still in the right direction! Thanks for the update, ya'll have been on my mind lately. Give Willow doggie love for me!

Frogger

13. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Willow's platelet count is back down ... they're thinking about putting her on a third immuno-suppressant. Maybe the combination of the THREE meds will help bring it up. Unfortunately, the third med has more serious side effects. They really dont know what's going on. They're running more blood tests.

14. tawiii

tawiii Guest

that's too bad

15. Melynda

Melynda Well-Known Member

It sounds like you & Willow have been having a hard time. I hope all goes well. It sure sounds like Willow is lucky to have you!! With all you're willing to do to make sure she gets better - it seems like you feel pretty lucky to have Willow too. Best Wishes for a quick recovery.

16. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Elims, I'm sorry to hear that. Big hugs to you both.

17. froggerplus

{{{Elims :cry:}}}

So sorry about the news, hon! Keep on lovin' her, that's all you can do right now.

18. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Thanks, y'all. She started one new med this past Monday ... they're going to do some tests next Tuesday, and see if they'll put her on another med. One of these days, I'll count how many pills she gets a day ... it's incredible. It's also amazing how fast the bills add up ... c'est la vie.

19. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

Best wishes for Willow and Elims, hang in there girl, i know it is tough on you.

20. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Elims, have you thought about a "natrual" approach? Vet said we could do Chemo on Shelby but with her age (15) that may not be the best thing for her. I've been giving her Essiac everyday along with her Vitamins and she seems to be doing great since we found out she has cancer.

If you want the name of someone, let me know.