Winter 2011/2012 propane pricing discussion

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by GarnerHome, Oct 7, 2011.

1. bissielizzie

bissielizzie Well-Known Member

Some of our friends have been using Parker Gas in Smithfield 989-6189 and they have had really good experiences with them. Sorry I don't know their pricing. I have seen a company in the area called the "propane butler" I believe it's a service for those that can't haul their own tanks. Our experience with purchased tanks is that most of the companies we called a few years ago would not fill a tank they did not own. They sited safety issues. So that means hauling the tank.
    Does anyone have a buried tank? We've always had natural gas for heat, water and cooking. Since it's not available we thought about using propane. We see there alot of homes around with "gas packs" and some don't seem to have any gas tank nearby.

2. jjganny

jjganny Well-Known Member

I use Ormonds out of Princeton. However, this year I bought one of those infrared heaters & it is awesome. Have yet to turn on my propane but have a full tank ready for really cold weather.

3. bostonredhead

bostonredhead Well-Known Member

Do you mean $3.xx? I can't believe I paid a dollar more per gallon!

4. esther

esther Active Member

Just paid $3.39 per gallon from McCracken last week. Didn't want the hassle of having to pay for the removal of the tank and then the set up fees for the new one.

5. krattie

krattie Well-Known Member

Some companies will swap your tank for you. McCracken won't reimburse you for the gas in your tank. Keep that in mind if you do plan to leave them. We learned the hard way. Our tank was 1/2full (or empty) when we had the tank swapped and were looking forward to the refund only to be surprised they would not be sending a check. Amerigas and Ferrelgas refund whats in the tank.

6. cdd

cdd Well-Known Member

Just called Amerigas in Garner to check the refill rates. Turns out we were on the auto refill plan, so they filled our tank yesterday at $4.48 per gallon. They justified the ridiculous rate with "you're a low-use customer", but I thought that's why we pay tank rental. I mentioned the other local rates, and they may make an adjustment. Amerigas will refund for gas in the tank when they pick it up at $.30 less per gallon than you paid for it.

Called Ethco, and was quoted 2.39 per gallon, but they are out of tanks until the new year. Will be switching soon.