Wireless Security

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by JC-native, Feb 1, 2007.

1. JC-native

JC-native Well-Known Member

I've got an older wireless router with WEP encryption. Is a 256 bit ASCII key any better than a 256 bit HEX key or are they both just as easy to hack. I know WEP can be hacked in a matter of minutes anyway. Should I get a new router with better security?

Several of my neighbors don't use any encryption at all. Scary.

2. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

Your last line is a key point. Most "hackers" or script kiddies aren't going to spend a lot of time trying to crack even basic WEP protection. Why should they when there are numerous EASY targets out there with no protection whatsoever?

I'm not saying don't be concerned about security, but unless somebody has a specific reason to REALLY want to access your wireless signal, it is unlikely that they are going to spend much time trying to even crack a WEP key.

Further locking down most routers and making it even more difficult for unauthorized access is pretty easy - just takes a little time and depends on what level of secuity you feel comfortable with. On most wireless routers today, besides the WEP or WPA, you can also do the following:

- turn off broadcast of the SSID

- limit the access times on your router. Not using it from 11pm to 6am? Deny access during that time. (Not a bad idea if you have kids in the house also! Especially if they have computers in their own room.)

- limit access to only selected MAC id's (the ID number that is unique and encoded into every network card) If it's not one of your computers, access is denied.

Each level that you add will further discourage casual access to your wireless signal.

3. JC-native

JC-native Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. You taught me something new. I assigned a static IP address to each individual MAC address. That seems like pretty good security for what I need.

4. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

Is there a Wireless Security for Dummies?

I've read this post, but unfortunately it is all too technical for my small mind to figure out and beyond my scope of knowledge. We have wireless internet in our home, using a Linxus router. I have no idea how to set it up to prevent others from getting online. For example, a friend came to visit, brought her laptop and easily got online without any problems. Shouldn't I be concerned about that? (Not that my friend got on it, but that a stranger could possibly sit in his/her car outside my house and get on).

Is there an easy-to-understand book or website I could read that would explain the security process so I could learn whether or not our system is safe from hackers?

Thanks.

5. appcomm

appcomm Well-Known Member

If your friend got online that easily, then it sounds like there are no security measures setup on your wireless router. That means that neighbors or somebody parking in front of your house could acquire a connection.

Linksys, Netgear, D-Link and others have done a great job of making it easy for the home or office user to setup a wireless router...but that ease of operation comes at a price. No security!

Here's a link to the most popular Linksys wireless router on the market (I'm guessing this is the one you have.) It provides instructions on setting up the security settings:
    http://www.tekstenuitleg.net/en/articles/wireless_network_security_guide/1

Here's a quick test to see just how open you may be:
    1. Open a web browser on a PC that is connected to the wireless Linksys router.

2. For the address, where you would normally type in: www.4042.com :), put in the IP number for the router: 192.168.1.1

3. You should get a security login screen for the Linksys router, asking for a username and password. Leave the USERNAME blank and for the password type in: admin

4. If that works and you now see the configuration screen for the Linksys router, then you have no security at all! (That admin login is the same one that EVERY Linksys router ships with and is one of the first things you should change when setting up security.)

Hope that helps!

6. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

Appcomm, Thank you very much! I've printed out all the info from the website link and have some reading/studying to do. I'll also follow your steps-- but I'm pretty sure we're not secure. We just hooked up our Linksys and was completely THRILLED that we could use a laptop anywhere in the house! It didn't occur to me that we needed to do additional safety procedures.

Thanks again for your help and not *scoffing* at my ignorance. (At least to my face! :) ha.

7. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

I'd like to add here, that an open (Unsecured) wireless network connection being used by someone outside the home is legal. Under NC and Federal Statutes it is your responsibility to secure the connection if you don't want others using it.