words you hate because they are hacked

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Apr 22, 2016.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I hate when people on TV say phenom. Are they that darn lazy to say phenomenon, or are they too lazy to say phenobarbital?

Auxie likes this.
  2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

I believe they are referencing a person (phenom) who is a phenomenon in whatever it is they do. An example might be, Prince was a musical phenom.

3. Rockyv58

Then say phenomenon. To me phenom is like nails on a chalkboard to me

Auxie likes this.
  4. Wayne Stollings

But phenom is the correct use for a person, phenomenon covers more.

phenom

• : a person who is very good at doing something (such as a sport)
    phenomenon
    • : something (such as an interesting fact or event) that can be observed and studied and that typically is unusual or difficult to understand or explain fully

• : someone or something that is very impressive or popular especially because of an unusual ability or quality

Rockyv58 likes this.
  5. Rockyv58

yea but it still hacks me off :) I never heard that word till about 10 years ago. I've been on this ball since the 50's

It's kind of like the word AIN'T. Growing up it was not a work. It finally became an official word in the dictionary in the 90's

Auxie likes this.
  6. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

Well, I'll give you one that I feel is worn out. The made up ESPN word; Physicality. Dang I get tired of that one in football season.

markfnc and Rockyv58 like this.
  7. Wayne Stollings

I love the differences in the way people were taught to pronounce words. "ENthalpy" compared to "enTHALpy" for example. I knew a guy who pronounced the number 6 as "sis"

Rockyv58 likes this.
  8. Harvey

Harvey Well-Known Member

How about 'Que'? We shortened Barbecue to "BBQ" some time ago. Apparently that wasn't good enough so some people are just calling it "que". Lame. Not as lame a grabbing a slice of "Za" though (pizza).

markfnc, poppin cork and Sherry A. like this.
  9. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Cra Cra for CRAZY. Just say or write "crazy". The first time I heard someone say cra cra or cray cray I asked what that meant.......they laughed and said "crazy". I shook my head and walked away.

Sherry

10. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

I bet you made their day great.

Auxie and John Carr like this.
  11. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

Well they were talking about the NC Legislature and Governor, so yeah maybe.....haha They called them Cra Cra and I didn't know what that meant.

Sherry

Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.
  12. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

i assume that was when bev was governor

trident2 likes this.
  13. Auxie

Auxie Well-Known Member

14. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

All the texting shorts. LOL, ROTFL, etc. I'm old, I hate to have to google a set of letters to see what it means.