WRAL line up

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by ginger1989, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

You can't DVR a show that's pre-empted.

2. CraigSPL

CraigSPL Well-Known Member

Ahhhh but you can and I have....as long as you know when it is being re-broadcast.

In most cases here the shows have been totally cancelled due to the games so you can't honestly say they would have ratings as high or higher than the games replacing them as you can't compre the apples to oranges no matter how hard you try.

3. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

That's the point, it's not re-broadcast. It's "pre-empted", as in "not shown this week because of a basketball game".

Then why have ratings at all?

4. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Again....Cliff thinks he knows more than the CBS suits.

If these dumb shows drew better ratings, they would be on in place of basketball. It really doesn't get more simple.

Showing me "all time" numbers and numbers from nights prior to the tourney are fools gold. With the emphasis on fools.

5. RealityWorkouts

RealityWorkouts Well-Known Member

We have Dish Network. We have several shows set to DVR over the past few weeks that Basketball has been on. In most cases, the station broadcast the show in a late night time slot. The following shows were recorded with no problems in the later time slots, because we had programmed for "New Episodes":
    Blue Bloods
    Big Bang Theory
    Two and a Half Men
    Mike and Molly
    I think there were others, I just don't remember.

Look at your late night scheduling.

6. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

I can't believe I'm going back to this but it's fascinating to me that throughout your obsession with BBT's ratings on Thurs nights, you've constantly ignored my key point. Once again, I'll say it. You have to consider the ratings for the entire tourney instead of just one night. I said that on here somewhere and even conceded your point about Thurs night being a net loss in ratings. Why you have skimmed over that important detail is anyone's guess.

I even provided you with data for the weekend nights to illustrate those nights being big winners.

I don't know if you are one of the many people out there who hate sports or what, but as I've said a couple times now the CBS executives know the ratings and what fills their pockets. I could go all day about the net increase in ad revenue from vertical markets and how an ad for the NCAA tourney triples the value of an ad during the BBT's airing despite any disparity in ratings. But ...perhaps another day. I'm sure you've heard or read about the price tag on a Super Bowl commercial despite no Super Bowls being at the top of your precious 12 year old link. I digress...

My guess is you hate sports almost as much as being wrong. A double whammy in this case.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  7. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Ok I will get right to the point on this,,

Ratings are key but not quite where CBS concerns are, its in sponsorship money and who's buying ad space, I will go out on a limb here and say in the end ratings and all added up basketball brings more money to table than these pedestrian thurs night shows Clif is riding. Free pony rides here.

Big picture: while touting ratings, ad money on commercials are all part of the picture.

Although Wulf has pointed this out

8. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

As I continue to research this subject, it appears Cliff is closer to being right than previously thought. It appears the ratings of the tournament vs regular programming aren't as advantageous as I previously thought. Still, CBS appears to be winners on almost every night of the tournament and we've already said the advertising spots for the tourney are surely mammoth.

One additional thing to consider is the fact the contract with the NCAA was signed a long time ago. Who knows what the circumstances were with CBS's prime time programming back then. The Mentalist seems to be a winner but these network shows cycle out every few years it seems.

9. Clif001

Clif001 Guest

:p

10. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Don't ever say I'm not fair.