XP Burning CD question

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by kidsfly, Nov 6, 2007.

1. kidsfly

kidsfly Well-Known Member

When making copies of a file to CD, the XP software automatically places a copy in a temporary queue until you select the command to write the files to a CD.

Does anyone know how long the files will stay in that temporary queue? Is it until a CD is actually written/burned or will the temporary queue be deleted if power is lost or computer shut down?

2. kidsfly

Ken,

I thought that too until I tested the theory.

I have a document in queue. I've shut down my computer thinking it would be gone when I restart. When I restart, the balloon pops up saying I have files waiting to written to a CD.

I've also "logged off" first, and then shut-down. Still, the balloon and queue appears when I turn the computer back on and sign on.

Is it just my computer? I haven't had a chance to try another one yet.

I was telling someone they should make their back-ups right away and not depend on them to be in the queue for later-- but someone told me you could continue to add to the queue until your files reach the size of a CD and instead of burning it each time you want to add a new document you can wait til much later and burn it all at once.

I haven't been able to find an answer to this in MS Help and Support and their website. Do you know of somewhere it's written that the queue will be lost after logging off? Not that I don't believe you, because I gave the same answer~ but I want to show that to someone. :lol:
    Thanks!

3. JCG

JCG Well-Known Member

my xp does that on any program that I have not completed. I had a letter that i had down in the tray and forgot about, shut my pc down, when I restarted my pc reminded me about the letter and gave me options. I like that about the xp.

4. kidsfly

I know, I know, MS is inferior to Linux. But, I never heard of Linux until reading your threads. Why doesn't this company do more to compete with MS? I'm not a computer expert, do not have time to learn an entirely different operating system and a creature of habit.

Maybe someday I'll grow some and give it a try.:mrgreen:

5. kidsfly

LOL. Unfortunately, anytime I hear the word movement, I can't help but think of my DH, his newspaper, and his morning ritual.

In other words, it's not pleasant. :lol:

6. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Every burning software for Windoze has it own "writting Packet". You don't need windows queueing the files. It's redundant and it slows the process of burning. And it gives you those anoying pop ups on files to burn.

WINDOZE XP
    First make sure you installed the packet-writing driver that came with your drive or PC (Roxio Easy CD Creator and Nero Burning ROM supply their own packet-writing drivers) by looking in the program's Start menu folder for a shortcut (for example, Roxio's is called Drag-to-Disc).

1. Right-click on "Start" click on "Explore".
    2. Scroll down the left side to your cd burner drive. Right-click on the CD drive, choose "Properties", select the "Recording" tab, and uncheck "Enable CD recording on this drive."

I know ...#2 sounds like a strange action, but trust me it works.

WINDOZE PISTA
    1. Press WinKey + R and type “gpedit.msc” (without the quotes).
    2. Navigate to: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Explorer
    3. In the right hand pane, double click on “Remove CD Burning features”
    Set the value to “Enabled” and press OK.

From now on, when you drag files and folders and drop them on the recordable drive's icon, the burner will write them to the disc immediately, and 10 times quicker, using the packet-writing driver.

7. kidsfly

People have told me I live a sheltered life. I had to google Alice's Movement, had no idea what you were talking about. :oops:I can't find a link where I can listen to it a little to see if I recognize it or not.

Seems like the last really-long song I remember at a younger age was the long version was Rapper's Delight.

I said a hip, hop, a hippit to the hippit say upchuck the boogie...

8. kidsfly

Almost forgot!

Thanks DrDan for your response!