XP shuts down

Discussion in 'PC Help Desk' started by MisunderstoodMind, Mar 25, 2008.

1. MisunderstoodMind

MisunderstoodMind Well-Known Member

So, I'm on the computer and it shuts down. It'll reboot, but this is very annoying.

Any idears?

TY in advance

2. nevilock

nevilock Well-Known Member

we need more info to help you.

When does it happen?
    What are you doing when it happens?
    What have you installed recently, specifically before you remembering the problem starting?
    Does it give any warning? If so what does the warning look like?

3. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

^^^ What he said. What's the temps running?

4. MisunderstoodMind

It happens at various times. I could be typing or doing nothing. As far as installing anything, the machine is pretty much new. I receive no warning, she just decides to shut down and reboot.

5. MisunderstoodMind

Harddrive is running at 122

6. space_cowboy

space_cowboy Well-Known Member

That's about right. What about CPU? If it will start right back up with no problems it's probably not an over heating issue. If it's new and still under warranty, I'd carry it back. This could be a million different things.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008
  7. MisunderstoodMind

The puter is new, but not under warranty. It was bought aways back, but unused until now. DH is going to try the fan thing this weekend. I'll let you know if we figure anything out.

8. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

Typically, fault shut downs are a temperature or ram problem. But you may have a software problem.

Windows XP controls how it responds to critical errors—those that cause the Blue Screen of Death (BSOD). In Windows XP, the default setting is for the computer to reboot automatically when a fatal error occurs. It's an SFI (Software For Idiots) function.

If you haven't changed any of the system failure settings, you should be able to see the error by looking in the Event Log. But a better long-term solution is to turn off the automatic reboot so you can actually see the error when it happens—chances are it will tell you enough about the error to let you troubleshoot further. Then you can post the real problem in here.

To change the recovery settings to disable automatic rebooting:

1. Right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.

2. Click the Advanced tab.

3. Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box.

4. Clear the Automatically restart check box, and click OK the necessary number of times.

5. Restart your computer for the settings to take effect.

Now when a fatal error occurs, you'll see it and it won't cause an automatic reboot. You still have to sort out what's causing the problem, but that gets us to the next step, knowing "exactly" what's causing the shutdown.