Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

I don't recall anyone disrespecting teachers (although this thread is currently at eight pages...).

Poor management practices, metrics-driven processes and high-handed school boards maybe, but I think most people know that the teachers aren't the problem.

2. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

Public schools and NC Dept. of Education showed their disrespect for teachers when they changed the teachers' role to teach a test rather than to educate the children of NC.

3. CanisLupis

CanisLupis Banned

Truer words never typed.

My father in law is a retired NC principal, my mother in law is a retired NC teacher, my sister is currently a teacher in Wake County and my wife is an ex-teacher in two different NC counties.

ALL of them have said the very same thing.

4. Emma Caroline

Emma Caroline Well-Known Member

There are actually 3 or 4 different bills that deal with the school calendar. Many of them are repetitive. In my opinion HB 175 is the most likely to make it out of committee. It was on the House Education Committee's calendar for tomorrow--but it was removed on Friday and today they canceled the meeting all together. I do believe the Aug. 25th and June 10th dates will no longer be law after this session.

Sorry they quote you quoted did not transfer--it was dealing with an old bill to give start and stop dates back into the hands of the local boards.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

We agree about a lot of things. Well said.

6. kmollins

kmollins Well-Known Member

I am sorry to have been unclear. I was simply trying to make the argument that all children could benefit if this calendar is what the schools/board/superintendent choose to adopt. I will restate my original stance which is that we need to think of all children when allowing our educational leaders to make the decisions they were paid to make. We also need to remember that our children will in one way shape or for beneift from these modifications to philosophy and that sometimes we need to step out of our comfort zone to make the changes needed to serve all children. As for my own, I am very blessed to have a child that I do not need to push to read. He reads all day and noght almost to a fault. Keeping him educationally engaged has never been a problem, even through the summer months ;). My point in mentioning him is that even he who does extremely well during the school year as well as during the summer, has difficulty readjusting to the formal environment of a school classroom.

7. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

I think that the school year was better when we started early-mid August and finished up late May. I used to teach on that schedule with JCS and I still do at my current teaching position and I have high school age kids. It just makes sense to end the semester at the winter break. Same amount of summer break, just shifted to allow for a sensible break between semesters. I never really understood why the big push to delay the start of school. JMHO...come and get me...:mrgreen:

8. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

It would make a lot of sense to end the semester at winter break like in college. It just seems like it would be less complicated for everyone.

9. Kelyel

Kelyel Well-Known Member

Way, Way, Way back when - when we FARMED for a living here in JoCo... starting school LATER after LABOR DAY was the norm. The kids were needed in the fields.
    Also there were NOT many holidays and very very few workdays. Kids were in SCHOOL 5 days a week till 3pm.

Oh, the good old days.........
    (Que the Cleo eye roll icon here)

10. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

Haha! It wasn't THAT way back when!! I loved school back then and was so happy for it to start. Barning tobacco in the summer and living miles from my friends made me happy to see the school bus rolling!

And come to think of it, my teachers in elementary school K-8 always seemed pretty happy. Years later, when I was fortunate enough to teach along side two of my former teachers, they went on about how great things were back then too!!

Yep, the good ole days...

11. dontbah8r

dontbah8r Member

Newbie here - My neighbor filled me in on this the other day and I am so thankful for this thread. I had not heard any of this from my child's school - which is very discouraging. As parents, we should be informed before teachers/administrators vote and get both sides on the table.

I am very impressed with the research you guys have done and the different perspectives you have brought into consideration. I just wanted to let you know your efforts are appreciated by this parent!:hurray:

12. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

It looks like the parent "education" sessions are starting this week at some schools. I'm curious how these are being handled in other locations. I know that Cooper sent home information saying that parents will not be allowed to talk at the "education" sessions. Instead they must submit written questions prior that will be addressed by school staff during the meetings. IMO this is a very poor substitute for open dialogue between parents and staff. Instead we get canned responses delivered by pro-change staff who can spin the responses any way they want. To me, that's the problem with this whole process. There has been no real opportunity for parents to openly challenge the schedule and discuss issues amongst their peers in a public forum. To read the documentation they are sending home this proposed change doesn't sound like much of an issue at all. Here's a summary:

1. This calendar is not the same as year round.
    [Yes it is! Take a look at Wake County's year round calendar - it's very similar. The only difference is the number of tracks. Call it what it is!]

2. Students will have ample summer vacation (7 weeks)...
    [Says who? My children actually participate in summer activities that add to their education in different ways than sitting in a classroom. Are these not important?]

3. How are issues of child care during intersessions addressed? Private providers will expand their offerings or schools will provide "educational daycare."
    [So working parents either need to shell out more money for day care or put their child who doesn't require remediation in school on his or her days off. Oh, and I have to drive him there and pick him up because there's no school transportation on these days.]

4. How can families plan vacations if they have students on two different calendars? The schedules overlap significantly during summer, Christmas, and Spring Break.
    [They overlapped 100% of the time when everyone was on a single schedule! Parents with children in elementary and middle school will also need to take time away from work, or pay for day care, on the days when one child is in session and the other is not. There are 46 days on the calendar where this will happen! How are we supposed to plan vacations with one child still in school???]

5. Does it cost more to use such a calendar? There will be a windfall of remediation money due to the elimination of summer school. This money will defray some but not all of the expense.
    [Let me get this straight... Just a few weeks ago the Superindent called a series of kitchen table meetings claiming we have a huge budget deficit. Extreme cost cutting measures were suggested, including closure of the AIG center. Now we need to find more money to fund this year round calendar? It doesn't add up!]

I am convinced the parent education sessions are simply planned to be pep rallies to convince parents to vote yes on the new calendar. Folks, call and write your school board members!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2011
  13. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

Don't be so sure! At the recent kitchen table meetings held by the Superintendent closure of the AIG center was mentioned by almost every group in attendance.

14. bronco611

bronco611 Guest

The schools started with a staff vote (they call it a survey) regarding the proposed schedule change. If they didn't get at least 50% YES votes from the staff then the school was not required to move forward with a parent vote.

15. Tator2011

Tator2011 Member

16. kmollins

kmollins Well-Known Member

17. OK, I'm new here, so please don't beat me up too hard. My huband found out about the possible schedule change at East Clayton (sorry I'm not in your hood) last week and we have been trying to wrap our heads around the whole deal. We cannot decide if we are for or against it. We regularly pay childcare because we both work outside of the home and so the difference in 7 weeks vs 10 weeks in summer and the rest of the year's schedule change will not affect us financially. We understand that will not be the case for some, and unfortunately not for some that may need the remediation sessions most.

However, we have a 4th gade AIG student who will not need remediaton and a kindergardener that we are as of yet unsure. We agree with what we have read that parent involvement is key, but it is so easy with one of our children while almost impossible with the other to get them to do what is necessary. Is that irony? Our biggest question and concern is what benefit will this have for our chilldren if they do not need the remediation. What "enhanced educational program" will be offered if we opt to go with the pay as you go school based option instead of our traditional daycare during this time?

We do have to say that we have watched this thread,(and many others), without commenting in the past and we are somewhat dissapointed in the name calling and general pettiness, i.e. of attacking particular posters' grammatical skills and use of synonyms,etc. Unfortunately, ain't none of us perfect and we would 'spect better of people genuinely concerned for their children's educational challenges and progress. The number of posts do not necessarily equate to the level of one's validity, or expertise.

If you find any typos during this email, please be aware that our keyboard is infected with Caprisunitis (juicebox) and we are working towards a cure.

We will be attending the information session tomorrow evening, but if anyone has any information regarding the enhanced educational program, please share without throwing stones. Thanks to you all for your involvement in the Johnston County School System. Your involvement is why it is as good as it is and can be.

18. Tator2011

Tator2011 Member

The purpose of the session is to explain how the calendar would work to those that are not familiar with it.
    The survey is the chance to express your opinion.
    School board elections are your opportunity to replace board members that you believe are not representing the communities desires. [Of course last election showed most people preferred the board we have.]
    Seems reasonable.

It sounds like some people just want a chance to stand up and growl.

19. Tator2011

Tator2011 Member

Actually, the biggest benefit for your non-remediation student will be from the regular day rather than the intersession. Normally, a teacher has to devote time for remediation during the regular class day. If there is a week of remediation during intersession, then the teacher can devote more time during the regular days doing more engaging activities and serving the needs of the non-remediation student. I believe that would be the biggest benefit. It might allow schools to try some of the inventive ideas from the AIG center.

20. What about those of us who don't want to growl?

We were given an opportunity at ECES to submit questions prior to the information session, but we did not really know what to ask because the paperwork only came home on Friday. We make sure we check bags every day of the week, but are ashamed to say that the Friday bag gets checked on Sunday afternoon. Call us uninvolved parents if you want.

We were also told that they would take written questions during the meeting. I guess they don't want us to turn into the spectacle that is now Wake County Schools, and I certainly don't want that distinction either.