Year Round School

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by MrsPeepers, Feb 9, 2011.

1. ncmom

ncmom Well-Known Member

:nopity: Well ... I'm sure they'll be pretty excited when they have their turn for a day off and others still have to go to school. Sounds fair to me.

2. firefly69

firefly69 Guest

:jester::mrgreen::jester:

You're a mess.

3. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

It's only unfair if their parents portray it as unfair. Instead of a parent simply saying, all kids are on different school schedules. :rolleyes:

4. Allioop

Allioop Well-Known Member

You're right though, PRM. Kids pretty much adapt to changes and understand their friends have different schedules. My daughter's best friend goes to a year round school in Wake County, and they still get to see each other often.

5. Allioop

We think alike. I just saw your post after I posted mine. :lol:

6. KellBell

children can be taught to be (more) dramatic about every little thing, and their parents teach it to them.....

just sayin' :mrgreen:

7. VolleyGrl

VolleyGrl Well-Known Member

I swear I'm not trying to sound rude or condescending, but it would be "to young kids" instead of "too young kids". What matters in the end is that the children recieve a good education. Period. 8)

8. Allioop

Exactly! If you make it a big deal and complain, so will they. I just think of something positive about the change, and make a bigger deal of that.

9. dbowen

dbowen Guest

JUST SAY NO TO YEAR@

WE JUST MOVED FROM WAKE CO TO JOCO IN JANUARY.
    DO NOT BRING THAT YR @ "MESS" TO JOCO.

HAVING THE WHOLE SUMMER OFF IS AWESOME.

THE JOCO SCHOOL SYSTEM "AINT BROKE"...SO AS THE SAYING GOES " IF AINT BROKE, DONT FIX IT!"

PLEASE VOTE "NO" TO THE MODIFIED SCHEDULE.

IF YOU HAVE 2 OR MORE KIDS, YOU MAY HAVE 2 OR MORE DIFFERENT SCHOOL SCHEDULES.
    YOUR ELEM KID MAY BE ON 1 AND YOUR MIDDLE SCHOOL KID ON ANOTHER.
    AND HIGH SCHOOL WILL PROBABLY NEVER GO YR @ OR MODIFIED (due to college). AND IF YOUR KID PLAYS SPORTS IN MIDDLE SCHOOL, SPORTS DONT STOP OVER THE BREAKS/VACATIONS...SO YOUR KID MAY BE OUT FOR VACATION FOR 2 WEEKS BUT ARE YOU GOING TO MISS 2 WEEKS OF GAMES?
    THANKS~ A PARENT OF 2 BOYS AND A FORMER KINDERGARTEN TEACHER

OH~AND WHEN THEY GO BACK TO SCHOOL IN JULY, AND THAT PLAYGROUND IS SUPER HOT, THAT MEANS "NO OUTSIDE PLAY" FOR THOSE DAYS...WHEN THEY SHOULD BE AT THE POOL ANYWAYS!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2011
  10. KellBell

:lol::lol::lol:

11. Kdog

Kdog Well-Known Member

West clayton parents approved it 52.1%

12. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

We vote Nooooooo, we voted Nooooooooo.

13. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

F%&# !!!!! Ugh, so now what??

14. keemom

keemom Well-Known Member

I think that's what a lot of us are wondering!

15. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

Probably 47.9% of you anyway. Many are speculating, but only time will tell.

16. ziggy

ziggy New Member

Modified school calendar

Hooray! West Clayton voted for the new calendar. I hope the Board will approve it. Having frequent breaks will be so good for the students and staff.:)

17. wed2x

wed2x Well-Known Member

Do you want to babysit my kids during all those breaks while I work? I can't afford to work and put 2 in child care everytime there is a break.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  18. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

So, back to the elected school board to make a decision that they punted on earlier. Now, one wonders which portion of the parents they will anger, just in front of an election year.

Bottom line, if the adoption of this calendar was a positive thing, it should have been decided at the board level for all schools, especially the elementary schools and the middle schools into which their student population 'feeds'.

But, no solid evidence was presented. No convincing data was provided.

And rather than accepting the responsibility for making a decision to adopt, or not adopt, the board punted it to the school level, hoping that the schools would be able to handle a pointed subject with no ramification at the board level.

19. dangerboy

dangerboy Well-Known Member

It's the same number of days in and the same number out, just arranged differently. Do whatever you would normally do with them when on vaca. 12 weeks at once, 6 weeks two different times, 3 weeks 4 different times....all the same.

And @Hat, you say they punted, I say they sought community feedback before making such a sweeping change. How torqued would you be had they just imposed this calendar without any public discussion?

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  20. LovingLife10

LovingLife10 Well-Known Member

I agree. The only people who should be affected by the calendar as far as daycare goes are families that didn't need daycare over the summer anyway. People who work in the school system at the middle and high school level would fall into this category, as their work schedules previously coincided with their children's school schedule.

I am beginning to think with Hat that the school board is darned if they do, darned if they don't. I wish everyone would stick to the issues they really believe are a problem. It seems that some are searching for reasons to disagree, which makes their real arguments less respectable.