Yikes! my cockatiel laid 2 eggs!

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by cathy0517, Aug 5, 2008.

1. cathy0517

cathy0517 Well-Known Member

We thought she was a he!! We have had her for 1 1/2 years and thought she was a he all this time. :mrgreen:

2. Rcskip

Rcskip Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! Probably have 3 more to come.

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Had a he that turned out to be a she cockatiel years ago but for obvious reasons all the eggs were sterile.

4. rushlow2004

rushlow2004 Well-Known Member

What ever you do don't take them out, cause she will just go and lay more again..which in turn can make her loose a lot of calcium. Make sure she has a cuttle bone in there for extra Calcium. Let her sit on them is she is for a while and then take them out. Her becoming egg bound can be a problem as well. I'm so glad here I have all male birds cause I knew I didn't want to deal with this.
    Good luck with it!
    Sheri

5. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

It also means she is very happy!!! Birds who feel threatened or anxious wont lay! :)

If you have a problem with over laying, move things around to stir things up. Move the cage, or something to disrupt her life (gently) My blue and gold would lay every few weeks!!

6. peppercorns

peppercorns Well-Known Member

tryng to leave this alone....must not...type thoughts...aarrgghh....mind in gutter......

(anyway I am glad to know it's a happy bird - would have loved to have seen this surprise on your face since you thought it was a male bird...lol)

7. toysrmel.com

toysrmel.com Well-Known Member

I had that happen to me also. The bird was like 10 years old. Sadly my mom was caring for the bird and did not notice a second one was stuck and the bird did not make it. But who know?

8. rushlow2004

True for most Parrot breeds, but Teils and Keets are pretty easy layers..
    (get mind out of gutter lol).
    Sheri

9. cathy0517

She/he doesn't seem at all interested in the eggs. I am very glad that she is happy since we moved here in May and disrupted her schedule! She has a cuttle bone and I also read that she should have greens too. She seems very content and pleased with herself!

10. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I'm curious ... will the eggs actually hatch, or are they not fertilized? I dont know anything about birds ... so I'm learning something new here. :)

11. ljk

ljk Well-Known Member

Unless she has a mate (which she didnt mention) they will not be fertilized and will eventually rot. It is an emotional thing to leave the eggs with mom for a few days. It takes a lot of calcium for mom to make the shell, so you dont want them laying too many in a short amount of time. They will try to replace them if they are interested in them and you take them away too quickly. My bird doesn't have a nest box or anything and lays them from her perch way up high, so I get scrambled eggs!

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

It has been a while since I had to deal with this issue (We are pretty sure that Pettey the Parrot will not become a Petronilla), but I thought you could buy fake eggs to swap out for these sterile eggs.

13. rushlow2004

You can, but I can't remember where you can do that at. Most people that I know for years just leave them in there a few days and that normally works.
    Thank god for having males here...I have seen so many go through being egg bound, and it's a scary thing to deal with and I knew i didn't want to have to deal with it with my own birds.
    Sheri

14. cathy0517

She does not have a mate, so no baby birdies!! She never seemed attached to the eggs at all. She must have laid them during the night because we didn't notice anything until we went to feed her in the morning. She laid them in the corner of the cage and doesn't go near them. I guess we can take them out now.