You know what kills me?

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by harleygirl, Mar 17, 2005.

1. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

The fact that there are 8 surrenders (dogs) at the shelter now available for adoption. The reasons vary from kid allergies to owners moving to just not wanting the dog anymore! That just makes me sick! I can't imagine taking my dog to the shelter because I'm moving? I would find a place that accepted dogs! Period or I wouldn't live there. If my kid were allergic, then the kid gets medicine! The people who bring animals in that they just don't want anymore (like the Pointer) should have the guts to kill it themselves. People make me so mad! Anyrate, needed to vent. Thank you for listening.

2. le

le Well-Known Member

dont i know it. it irks me to no end to hear people "returning" a dog because they are moving. is the dog not part of your family? i do not understand how on earth folks can sleep at night after such. it is appalling and shameful. we took an adopted dog back when the folks moved out of state. the dog has since been adopted out again and the first folks still email me a year later to check on her! galls me to no end.............
    thanks for getting me started!

3. harleygirl

Sorry :oops:

4. harleygirl

Again, Sorry :oops:

5. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

It kills me also. I, too, have heard it all.

Alergies

The dog got bigger than I expected - don't people take into consideration breed or mix when they adopt?

Moving

Shed too much - Yes, people actually have used that as an excuse. They probably have never heard of regular brushing or grooming.

Vet bills - again, another head shaker - yearly exams and vaccinations and preventave medications such as heartworm pills should be considered before bringing a pet home in the first place. If it is not in the family budget, it should be put off until it is affordable.

Doesn't play anymore - yeah, dogs and cats get older and slow down as they mature. Can you imaging getting rid of Grandma because she doesn't run around and entertain the kids as she did when she was young?

Plays too much, or requires too much exercise - again they don't consider breed or mix - too many people select a dog because of looks alone. They seldom research what that particular breed was bred for.

Doesn't 'pal around' with the kids - again breed/mix consideration - many of your sporting breeds, among others are not the type to meet the kids when they get off the bus and sit by their side as a constant companion.

Jumps all over people and is unmanageable - training, even basic manners works wonders. A little bit of time for a lifetime of companionship is a small investment.

Thanks for getting me started as well :wink:

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

I have a cat that I am looking for a new home for right now. The reason? Allergies in my son. The kid has been miserable for four years (when we moved to the country and got our fist cat). He has taken Claritin, Zyrtec, & is currently on Allegra. It is 35.00 a month. The meds wear off well before their 24 hour time period. He is constantly stuffy, runny, itchy, wtery, and sneezing. The meds alleviate some of the symptoms, but they do not completely disappear. They also come with side effects, drowsiness & constipation so he is now on a daily stool softener due to an anal fissure he got straining to pass his bowels. We finally got blood work done a few weeks ago to find out WHAT he was allergic to. We always though it was just "hay fever". Boy were we wrong. He has NO allergies to anything in nature except cats (1200), and milk & egg whites (100).

I can't tell you how many times I have been called from work to come and pick him up from school because he was so miserable AND disruptive with his sneezing and sniffling. I have contacted all Rescue Groups I could find, and none are accepting new animals. I have a classified ad on this very website, no takers. I also have it on a bulletin board at work, one interested party but the cat had to be indoor/declawed/like other cats. So, we are still sniffling/sneezing/etc and Sassy is still with us until I can find her a home. I will NOT bring her to Smithfield to be put to death, but I will not compromise my son's health, happiness, and well-being either.

If this makes me a bad person in anybody's eyes, oh-well.

Any takers?

7. Cleopatra

I know :)

I just wanted to express the opinion that sometimes there are very valid reasons for giving up a pet. The comment was made that there were medications for allergies, I just wanted to explain the side-effects and the overall effectiveness of said meds. It will still take us a good six months to be cat hair/dander free even after the cat is gone. The dander and the hair will hang around forever. Even their saliva is highly allergenic.

BTW - I still haven't gotten any takers even after this post. I probably will NOT be meeting with people who find my ad here now that I have exposed myself. There are some freaks out there and I have gotten some "fans". I envision people checking me out and casing my place... But if it is a poster that I am familiar with, that would be okay!

8. harleygirl

Not you I got your PM! I am talking about irresponsible people who just throw their animals out or take them to the shelter which they may not have a chance. Send me a pic and I will try to help you.

See my bike Cleo?

9. Cleopatra

I know, I know... I just feel bad enough already and a little guilty :oops:
    I do feel like I am dumping the cat off, she is a part of our family. I know she would not have a chance at the shelter, that is where I got her and 400 dollars later she was healthy! I did get a PM from somebody interested in taking her. YAY!! See this 'ole message board DOES help people!! Your bike is sweet! See mine?

[​IMG]

10. PirateGirl

PirateGirl Well-Known Member

I take 3 allergy injections a week and prescription tablets daily...I understand. I am allergic to cats, dogs and rabbits. I have 2 dogs and a rabbit inside. The dogs share a bed with us. It can get absolutely miserable at times (asthma attacks and all). I was loving my "big girl" last weekend as I was in the midst of having an attck saying I Love You, you'd better know that! :) The things we do for love...

11. Cleopatra

PirateGirl, I love your avatar! It's a keeper.

12. PirateGirl

Thanks! Gotta love THE KING!

13. mamax3

mamax3 Well-Known Member

Harley,

I got one even better.

Owner gives up their dog (thank god he is in rescue with us) and a few weeks later is out buying another one.

In my eyes there is no excuse. He is sweet, mellow and the perfect foot warmer. I could possibly understand if he was distructive or agressive but that is not it. He is the perfect pooch.

I hope the owners new little chihauhau/rat terrior/min doesn't screw up.

14. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

Training might keep some in their homes

I was at the JCAC when a woman came in to surrender her young, rambunctious large breed dog. The officer told her that odds were low that the dog would be adopted and if not, would be euthanized. So she left and took the dog with her. To me, this seemed a case where training would keep the dog in the original home. The officer did not suggest training, however there are flyers and cards on the front desk. And of course, the owner has to to pay for training.

15. David

David Well-Known Member

I am not medicating my child for an animal.

Humans > Animals

Sorry, but I am not subjecting my kid to allergy shots because a few people can't see the harm in medicating a child.

16. PirateGirl

I make my own personal choice to give myself allergy shots each week.

17. chuck

chuck Well-Known Member

Just a curious question for a daddy-to-be. How often are kids allergic to animals? If the kid is born into the house with the dogs already there, does that help with any kind of natural immunization? It would break my heart if my dogs gave my kid allergies, but I gotta agree with David and Cleo here, the dogs would be at the grandparents if they made my kid sick.

18. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

You know what kills me?

A stake to the heart? Blah! Blah! :twisted:

Sorry resisted for as long as I could ..... :oops:

19. froggerplus

froggerplus Well-Known Member

Harley~

When my "girl" doesn't come running around the house late at night, as I gab on the phone on the porch, my breath catches until I find her. One night I went 'round and 'round the house looking for her, in a panic....snot was playing "keep away"..from Mommy! She a Golden/Laborador mix and I would NEVER drop her at the shelter if moving! Same with my cat. Heck, I just spent I-don't-want-to-think-about-how-much taking his fuzzy tail to the vet. He was one sick little kitty but he's ok now.

My point? My DH has mild allergies to cats and both my child and DH have a severe allergy to our Lucy Girl. However, both of the bi-peds take meds, and Lulu spends the night in when it's too cold, too hot, or thundering/lightning (she doesn't like all that noise & light). She also "sneaks" in just because...and we play with both the animals as much as daylight and energy allow.

If you can't take on the responsibility, don't take on the animal!!

20. Animal lover

Animal lover Well-Known Member

Allergic after many years?

I understand that allergies can be a valid reason for giving up an animal. But I am puzzled about people who surrender after 3, 5, whatever YEARS because of allergies. Do allergies develop over that long a time? Did they just tolerate the allergies for that long?