You know what kills me?

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by harleygirl, Mar 17, 2005.

1. ready2cmyKing

ready2cmyKing Well-Known Member

Yes, it can take years for allergies to develop. Also, people have different reactions to allergens. For some people cats cause itchy eyes and a stuffy nose. For my son, cats cause asthma attacks and trips to the ER. I have mild asthmatic reactions to them as well now - after having a housecat all of my childhood. Unfortunately, medicines aren't always enough to control severe allergies that result in asthma, which can be fatal, so before someone judges a parent for giving up a pet due to a child that has developed allergies, you really need to understand that sometimes it is unavoidable.

2. elims

elims Well-Known Member

Allergies are tricky.. it's not "all or nothing", they can develop or change over time. Something that you're not allergic to in your teens or 20s, you can develop an allergy to in your 40s or 50s. Some people learn to live with the sensation that they constantly have a cold (sniffling, sneezing, headachey, stuffy heads... oh, I know it all so well... *laugh*), some people cure the problem (get rid of the 'source' of the allergy). Even a pet you've owned for 6 or 7 years, you can develop an allergy to. I could get in to the technical side about histamines, and your immune system, and all that crap, but I wont. I am allergic to so many things, I've been learning about them since I was a kid. d;)

I'm allergic to animals, but cant live without them. I tried ... that was more harmful to my sanity, than my health. So I've chosen to deal with the consequences .. some people choose not to.

3. JHDZJByd

JHDZJByd Guest

I know what you mean..People come up with some of the dumbest excuses to give up an animal...I also have allergies and I still have a dog and cat in the house...Some animals bother me and some don't...I also look at it like this, if someone's child has been suffering for 4 years from allergies to animals, why wait until now to give up the cat or why even bother with getting one if you know the child is allergic...I also agree with whoever said that they should find a place that accepts pets to move instead of just giving up the animal...That is so cruel..That's just an excuse from someone who doesn't want the responsibilty of taking care of a pet..Also, I have heard people getting rid of their animals because they say their child is mean to it..That's not the animals fault...How about disciplining the child and teaching them that it's not right to be mean to animals...Also, people know before they even get a pet that it's going to cost money..Not just in food and other things but vet bills...If you know all of this why bother getting the pet if you're not financially stable to keep it healthy.....C'mon people.....stop being so irresponsible and take care of your pets....

4. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

It looks like the Johnston County push to adopt instead of killing is no worse than PETA's approach ... and probably better. :roll:

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

PETA's Dirty Secret
    Hypocrisy is the mother of all credibility problems, and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA) has it in spades. While loudly complaining about the "unethical" treatment of animals by restaurant owners, grocers, farmers, scientists, anglers, and countless other Americans, the group has its own dirty little secret. » read more

From July 1998 through the end of 2003, PETA killed over 10,000 dogs, cats, and other "companion animals" -- at its Norfolk, Virginia headquarters. That's more than five defenseless animals every day. Not counting the dogs and cats PETA spayed and neutered, the group put to death over 85 percent of the animals it took in during 2003 alone. And its angel-of-death pattern shows no sign of changing.
    » read more

Animals Killed By PETA

<Chart on site>

5. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Hey, why didn't I think of this before?

You know what kills me? A poisonous asp. lol

6. Wayne Stollings

Yep, saw it and have it on DVD too ... :wink: They did quite a few good ones ... even on religion and the Bible :oops:

7. Wayne Stollings

Like they did not already know it was Napthalene (Moth Balls) and Blistex (lip balm) combined to create Nap-alm? :roll:

Not really but made you wonder didn't I