40/210 Interchange Construction

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Smithers, Dec 10, 2022.

1. Smithers

Smithers Well-Known Member

It looks like NC 210 will be undergoing serious changes around I-40, similar to what's going on at NC 42 (just on a smaller scale). Construction is scheduled to start in 2029.

https://jocoreport.com/ncdot-seeks-input-on-widening-two-miles-of-n-c-210/
    https://publicinput.com/NC210Johnston

NC 210 would be widened to 4 lanes, from NC 50, across I-40, and up to Raleigh Rd.

The intersection of NC 210 and NC 50 and would reconfigured to not allow left turns. Depending on which proposal they go with, you would either have to make a U-turn after the intersection, or use a jughandle-type road that would run behind the CVS and connect to both 50 and 210 slightly away from the main intersection.

Two of the alternatives for NC 210 at I-40 propose a diverging diamond exchange, just like what they're currently making at 40/42.

Lots of detailed maps are at the DOT's "publicinput.com" link above.

panthersdude2001 and markfnc like this.
  2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

U-6203: N.C. 210 Improvements - Johnston County - PublicInput

option 4 was approved by DOT.
    from NCDOT on Nextdoor
    Update on NC 210 Widening Plans in McGee's Crossroads Hi, neighbors, After we held an open house last December at McGee’s Crossroads Middle School, our design staff reviewed all of the public comments and has chosen Alternative 4 as the preferred design to widen and reconstruct N.C. 210 at N.C. 50 and at the N.C. 210/I-40 interchange (Exit 319). As the number implies, this was one of four design alternatives presented at last year's open house. NCDOT plans to to widen N.C. 210 to four lanes with a raised median between N.C. 50 and just east of Exit 319. This project would alleviate the growing traffic congestion and also improve highway safety. What is Alternative 4? Please go to the project page and scroll down to see a description and the preliminary design maps for Alternative 4 at these two aforementioned N.C. 210 junctions:
    https://bit.ly/3SDN30M
    See attached screenshot of where to find info on the project page. This project is currently scheduled to begin construction in late 2027.

3. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Added the maps here.

210-1.jpg 210-2.jpg

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

in just MHO I think NC DOT is going way over board with the diverging diamond design. It seams every bridge or underpass they are converting to that design. Just blowing off some steam here, thanks for reading.

markfnc likes this.
  5. jesse82nc

They are designing them based on data and facts.

“In a traditional diamond interchange, there are approximately 26 conflict points that can lead to traffic crashes,” explains Wade Greiman, PE, Transportation Business Unit Leader for Snyder & Associates. “DDIs have just 14 conflict points. Fewer conflict points mean fewer opportunities for vehicles to collide, resulting in a safer, more efficient flow of traffic.”

[​IMG]
    • Reduced collision potential and increased safety by reducing the number of times vehicles cross paths. In particular, left-hand turns through opposing traffic are eliminated
    • Improved sight distance when turning
    • Reduced potential for wrong-way movement onto freeway ramps, an ongoing problem on our nation’s highways
    • Increased left turn capacity without needing additional lanes
    • Improved traffic flow and safety by reducing the number of traffic lights
    • Increased bicyclist and pedestrian safety by routing active transportation users through the median or along the roadway
    • Reduced congestion, resulting in reduced fuel consumption and air pollution
    It’s been nearly a decade since the first DDI was implemented in Springfield, Missouri, and so far the results are encouraging. A 2011 performance evaluation conducted by the Missouri DOT yielded positive feedback from Springfield drivers, with 80 percent of people reporting that traffic flow had improved. In its findings, the Missouri DOT shared that total crashes went down by 46 percent in the first year of operation. Left-turn crashes were entirely eliminated and right-angle crashes were reduced by 72 percent.

Rockyv58 and markfnc like this.
  6. Smithers

Is that a traffic circle at NC 210 and Pleasant Coates Rd? Two-lane traffic circles have never turned out well here, have they?

7. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

I think that's what a lot of people thought in the 50's when the Interstates got going with the cloverleaf intersection. I remember being small in the 7early 70's and a cloverleaf intersection opened near us. my dad drove us around all 4 clovers and came back where we started. me and my brother thought that was amazing and fun.

8. jesse82nc

It looks like the two inside lanes are primarily for those going straight on 210.
    Detail:

roundabout 210.jpg

9. Smithers

10. jesse82nc

11. Smithers

12. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Have you ever seen the traffic circle around the Arc de Triumph in Paris? That's crazy, and even scarier when your Uber driver navigates through it and almost gets hit and it doesn't phase him in the least.

13. Rockyv58

In the video they say people "MUST yield in the midst of magic" The problem with that over here in the USA is no one YIELDS to anyone else. Our philosophy here is all about me me me. That's why we see so many accidents. Even with I-40 being wide open, There is always accidents in the morning. I am just glad I take the back roads to get to Rex and also leave at 5am to head off to work. I think since my "third nerve palsy" last summer I have noticed that people on I-40 drive as if they are Dale Earnhardt, doing 80+ crossing 4 lanes of traffic because they didn't plan well enough in advance to exit. Sorry, just me ranting about the morning commute.

14. jesse82nc

One of the biggest issues I see, is people don't keep right. So many people end up passing them dangerously on the right side. And people cut across multiple lanes because of this. Every time I drive on I-40 now, the right lane is completely empty.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    upload_2023-11-17_9-40-38.jpeg

NOT WOKE and Hught like this.
  15. Rockyv58

Believe me I keep to the right and do the speed limit,And no my left blinker isn't constantly on (LOL) And yes I do, do the speed limit and sometimes a few miles over like everyone else. But its all the people who think they are the only ones on the road who keep swerving in an out of traffic with no turn signals that scare the "S"crap out of me. I want to get to work vertically not horizontally. I can't afford the ambulance fee :) Keep in mind this is just my opinion

NOT WOKE likes this.