Another JC Teen Driving Fatality

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by kdc1970, Jun 2, 2009.

1. momof3grls

momof3grls Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 11, 2009
  2. Sdaanimal

Sdaanimal Well-Known Member

Amen.

3. bandmom

bandmom Well-Known Member

:iagree: whole heartedly!

4. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

And parents probably need to make sure they understand the rules of the road as well so that they can set a good example. The light was out at Shiloh and Cleveland this morning and I swear the cars just stood there looking at each other until somebody decided to move. NOBODY knew to act like a 4 way stop in case of a light out. And then there was the lady who came barreling into the intersection and almost slammed into me because noticing the light was not working seemed to be lost on her. So not only did the power go out and I'm driving to work with wet hair, but then I'm almost killed on my way by ignorant driving. :banghead:

5. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

IMO, the teens are learning just as much from their parents driving skills (if not the bulk of it) as they are from driver's ed. The way most grown folks drive is outrageous to say the least. Your kids riding with you from birth to 15 are going to learn to cut people off, flip them off, ride their bumpers, fuss while they drive too slow...all from their PARENTS. The Driver's Education teacher doesn't teach that or show that kind of behavior.

When kids see their parents put their seatbelts on every single time, then they do. Mine have done it since they were 6, not because I remind them, because they see me do it. I am their driving teacher, they ride with me all the time. It's my responsibility to try and teach them how to respect the car and the cars on the road just as much as any driver's ed class/teacher/course/manual.

6. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

:iagree: See my post above. SOOOOO important and it's not happening with a lot of kids obviously.

7. KellBell

I saw it, we musta been typing at the same time. Get out my head! :lol:

and I am just going to say this, our (my) generation (30's and 40's) of parents SUCK as a general rule!! They are lazy about parenting. Lazy about teaching respect, appreciation, driving obviously......I could go on and on. I see it more and more every moment I am around 'today's' kids. It's repulsive. Makes me have to work twice as hard!!! grrrrrr......:banghead:

ok...done fussing.....:mrgreen:

unlesss someone has something to say about me fussin'. :jester:

8. ncmomtothree

ncmomtothree Well-Known Member

The narrow, curvy, no shoulder roads and traffic volume in this county are just a horrible mix. The roads are cow paths-meant for horse and buggy. The ones that usually pay the price are the teens. I have seen so many crazy teen drivers here-it's just frightning! The problem is that teens are tough nuts to crack. Just lack of life experience makes them think they are invincible.

Maybe every teen should be made to travel to the spots in JoCo where another teen has died and listen to why that kid is no longer here. See pics of the crash scene. Listen to the families weep and the EMS/police discuss the effects on them. Ban ALL cell phone use in cars for everyone.

Slow down EVERYONE. Why do people race everywhere? The only reason we don't see as many adult fatalities here is because of seat belts and more driving experience. Nothing- an appointment, the grocery store, a job- is worth your life. The roads will not change-only how we drive. If your teen grew up with you driving like a maniac what else do they know?

9. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I happen to agree with you. I have no use for a lot of kids I am around now. I can tell you, some of them seem to be raised by wolves. See the Random Thoughts thread with my rant about misbehaving kids in public. :lol:
    My son is far from perfect, but he darn well knows who is in charge, both at home and at school. He's a kid, and kids push the limit sometimes, but he knows there are consequences for his actions.

10. KellBell

exactly!! Doesn't seem like a whole helluva alot to ask!! :?

11. VolleyGirl

VolleyGirl Guest

I was thinking about this last night as well. Maybe even just take pictures of the sites with memorials to those kids with their pictures next to them and make them into posters to put around the halls of the high school with something saying "this is what can happen if you speed, don't wear your seatbelt, etc."

Having the families or EMS speak is a good idea as well if they were up to it.

12. KellBell

I think graphic shots of a accident scenes is a good idea.....for some (like my two hard headed ones). These kids don't believe a damn thing is going to happen to them!

This is totally off the subject, but LOL, anyway....one of my boys was cutting his toenails too short, so I went right to the computer and googled 'ingrown toenails' and clicked 'images', well needless to say, he is not cutting them too short now. :mrgreen: They don't believe nothing I tell 'em. He believed them pictures though. 8)

(and I know y'all think I am a mean mama, and I am!!)