Covid 19

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Wayne Stollings, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Interesting side point, Fencing is how I caught . . . my wife!

Wayne Stollings and jesse82nc like this.
  2. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

upload_2021-4-26_14-33-17.png

Almost 1 in 2 adults in NC now have at least one dose. More than 1 in 3 adults are fully vaccinated.

Hught likes this.
  3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Got my 2nd on Friday and on Sunday I actually felt better than I have in ages. Got to admit I was dragging Friday night though.

DWK likes this.
  4. jesse82nc

Average new cases in the US are the lowest they have been in roughly 11 months, since June of 2020.

upload_2021-5-17_9-13-45.png

Johnston County (population 210,000) is averaging 32 new daily cases over the past 7 days. Peak was just under 200 per day in January.

Wake County (population 1,120,000) is averaging 127 new daily cases over the past 7 days. Peak was just over 1000 per day in January.

Wayne Stollings, markfnc and BobF like this.
  5. jesse82nc

upload_2021-5-19_6-53-23.png

Lowest 7-day average since June 11, 2020. Almost one year ago.

6. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

7. jesse82nc

upload_2021-5-24_12-15-51.png

Lowest 7-day average in NC since May 21, 2020, over 1 year ago. Averaging just 641 new cases per day over the last 7 days across the entire state. Johnston County is averaging just 33 new cases per day.

markfnc, BobF and Hught like this.
  8. jesse82nc

New cases continue to go down, 7-day average just 511 in NC now. Last time it was that low was May 15, 2020 and earlier. Deaths from COVID in NC is averaging just 10 per day across the entire state.

upload_2021-6-4_7-2-14.png

US average is only 15,549 across the entire country, last time it was that low was March 28, 2020.
    upload_2021-6-4_7-5-42.png

Average of only 390 people dying per day from COVID across the entire country.

9. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Now if only we could get our vaccination numbers up in some places, we could kick this thing to the curb for good!

Sherry A., Hught, BobF and 1 other person like this.
  10. jesse82nc

7-day average in NC continues to drop. Averaging just 306 cases across the state now.

upload_2021-6-7_15-21-13.png

7-day average in the US continues to drop as well. Only 6,408 cases reported yesterday.

upload_2021-6-7_15-19-9.png

11. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Alexis Benveniste
    @apbenven

13 states have reached Biden's goal to vaccinate 70% of US adults with at least one dose by July 4

∙ California
    ∙ Maryland
    ∙ Connecticut
    ∙ Hawaii
    ∙ Maine
    ∙ Massachusetts
    ∙ New Hampshire
    ∙ New Jersey
    ∙ New Mexico
    ∙ Pennsylvania
    ∙ Rhode Island
    ∙ Vermont
    ∙ Washington

2:56 PM · Jun 8, 2021

12. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Fortunately I am fully vaccinated but most of the places I am visiting are not on the list, Missouri last week, Kansas this week, Texas and Michigan next week. All I can do is shake my head

Sherry A., DWK and Wayne Stollings like this.
  13. Wayne Stollings

Not to mention North Carolina is not on the list either.....

Sherry A. and DWK like this.
  14. Wayne Stollings

Who is being hospitalized for Covid-19? The unvaccinated
    [​IMG]
    ERIKA EDWARDS
    June 11, 2021, 5:39 PM
    There are only three Covid-19 patients at Sandra Atlas Bass Heart Hospital at North Shore University Hospital, on Long Island, New York — a far cry from when the hospital, which is part of Northwell Health, had as many as 600 patients during the peak of the pandemic.

All three patients, who are in the intensive care unit, have one thing in common, said Dr. Hugh Cassiere, director of the hospital's critical care services: They're unvaccinated.

The trend appears to be occurring at hospitals nationwide.

"I haven't had anyone that's been fully vaccinated become critically ill," said Dr. Josh Denson, a pulmonary medicine and critical care physician at Tulane University Medical Center in New Orleans.

It's been the same for Dr. Ken Lyn-Kew, a pulmonologist in the critical care department at Denver's National Jewish Health: "None of our ICU patients has been vaccinated."

Unvaccinated children, too, seem to be at increased risk for severe illness.

"In our local hospitals, the kids that are getting sick are the ones that are not vaccinated," said Dr. Natasha Burgert, a pediatrician in Overland Park, Kansas, and a national spokesperson for the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Thanks to the Covid-19 vaccines, the number of patients hospitalized has plummeted, from more than 125,000 on average in early January to just over 15,000 on average this week, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"The vaccines are working really well," Denson said. "It's just ridiculous not to get it."

Just over half of adults — 53 percent — have been fully vaccinated.

Critical care doctors have also emphasized the importance of completing the Covid-19 vaccination series.

Dr. Todd Rice, director the medical intensive care unit at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, said the hospital has admitted at least 32 patients who were only partially vaccinated, meaning they'd received one shot or hadn't had enough time after their final dose for their immune systems to develop protective antibodies.

But the overwhelming majority of sick patients in recent months — since the vaccines have become widely available — have not been vaccinated, Rice said.

Breakthrough infections — meaning ones that occur in fully vaccinated individuals — are possible, though extremely rare. If they do occur, it's highly unlikely that a person will need to be hospitalized, according a study posted Friday to the preprint server MedRxiv. (Studies posted to preprint severs have not been peer-reviewed.)

When Rice has seen breakthrough cases needing hospitalization, it was only in patients with compromised immune systems, who therefore likely did not respond as well to the vaccines.

"One of the ones we took care of had cancer, and another was on immunosuppressants for a rheumatologic disease," Rice said.

Lyn-Kew, too, had one or two extremely ill patients who'd been fully vaccinated.

"It turns out they were all immunosuppressed," he said.

Some, he said, had cancer at the time of their shots and did not respond well to the vaccines.

Though the CDC recommends people get vaccinated regardless of whether they were previously infected, Lyn-Kew said some of his hospitalized patients had decided to forgo vaccination because of previous illness — even if they'd never been tested to confirm they had Covid-19.

"They thought they were sick from Covid, but they weren't. And they have the mindset of, 'Oh, I don't need to get vaccinated because of that,'" Lyn-Kew said. "They're gravely mistaken."

15. Wayne Stollings

37.25% of the total population of NC have been fully vaccinated, compared to the national average of 42.8% or Vermont at 59.82%

16. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

Usually I try to pass by this post. But I would like to say on my own behalf. I am now 63 years old with high blood pressure and diabetic. Back in January at the psych hospital I work in they have taken in and still do, take in patients with underlying Covid-19. Well in January myself and one of the other CNA's both came down with covid-19. Thankfully I did not get hospitalized. I think it's because Wake Med had called me to tell me I had covid and asked if i wanted to try the monoclonal antibodies. I spent three hours that Sunday at Wake Med heart center. and when I was released they had to wheel me out to my car in a wheel chair. Of course had to wait the 90 days. Well Friday I finally got my second shot.
    For all those naysayers covid is a real dam thing and if you don't give a rats tail for yourself think about friends or family members who may have some underlying issues. If you don't do it for yourself do it for your friends or family members.
    Even with both shots and the antibodies in my body I am still going to go into places like Wal-mart with a mask on. I just do not trust others.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
  17. Wayne Stollings

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/new...-of-brain-tissue-dr-scott-gottlieb-warns.html

HEALTH AND SCIENCE
    New Covid study hints at long-term loss of brain tissue, Dr. Scott Gottlieb warns
    PUBLISHED THU, JUN 17 20217:57 PM EDTUPDATED FRI, JUN 18 20219:07 AM EDT

KEY POINTS
    • A new U.K. study examined brain imaging before and after a coronavirus infection and looked specifically at the potential effect on the nervous system.
    • “In short, the study suggests that there could be some long-term loss of brain tissue from Covid, and that would have some long-term consequences,” Gottlieb said.
    • Gottlieb explained to CNBC’s “The News with Shepard Smith” that the destruction of brain tissue could explain why Covid patients lost their sense of smell.

18. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

19. jesse82nc

7-day moving average in NC down to just 210 new cases across the entire state of 10,500,000 people.

upload_2021-6-21_12-19-59.png

7-day moving average in NC for deaths is down to just 10 per day.

markfnc likes this.
  20. Wayne Stollings

Unless our lack of vaccination percentage allows the Delta Variant to propagate.

DWK likes this.