Covid 19

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Wayne Stollings, Mar 19, 2021.

1. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Could that be the end of us all? the symbiology is clear ....

2. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

LOL!

3. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

It sounds as though you might have some “hogs with intellect”, just like PoppinCork. (He has since deleted that post about how smart his hogs are!) Maybe that’s where y’all are getting all of your “impressive reasoning” skills from! The current GOP has been espousing all of those things, and worse, to anybody with ears and eyeballs. At this point, they’re so cynical, they’re not even sure they want to support American democracy anymore! I am definitely going to look for an old William F. Buckley interview on YouTube tonight, just to remind myself of what an actual, REASONING Republican used to sound like.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  4. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Great,, the good for nothing cockroach is bumping her gums together again making no sense at all.
    Curious as to why you are going after someone not even involved here? You can’t hide your true colors, you have limited control of your lies and weird obsessive behavior here. Hence why you scurry around here being a nuisance with BS stories speculation and assumptions.
    Always placing yourself on that high and mighty pedestal. It’s a shame you aren’t smart enough to see how many times you keep knocking yourself off of it.
    Maybe one day you will, but I doubt it.

5. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

So, lemme get this straight. You’re on this Discussion Board for the purpose of exactly….WHAT? You clearly do not contribute to any discussion on here in a meaningful way, so why do YOU even bother? All you do is troll, troll, troll. If you can’t discuss a subject rationally and with reason, then just leave. It’s as simple as that. And I just looove how the male posters on here, are allowed to discuss things without any interference, but you sure do seem awfully threatened when I do the same thing. Why is that? And by the way, there is stuff that posters say on here that I agree, or disagree with, but that doesn’t mean that every single time that someone posts something, I’m going to vilify them and attack everything that they say, but that’s all YOU ever do on here.

Case in point: when Jesse was comparing Covid deaths to abortions, I can agree with him about his opinion that life at conception is sacred, but I can’t agree with the “whataboutism” reasoning that led him to equate the two. I don’t hate Jesse for offering his opinion today. I know that he feels strongly about abortion, and I agree that men and women should take their relationships, and the potential life of a child, much more seriously - especially when birth control is widely available to both partners. But sometimes, it’s not so simple. Women are sometimes raped and abused by truly horrible men, and sometimes trapped in relationships and dangerous circumstances not of their own making. I know this firsthand, as I once volunteered as a domestic abuse hotline crisis counselor, and heard some horrific and stunning stories of abuse, both physical and sexual. I once had to tell a woman to hide in a kitchen cabinet, as her violent husband tried to break the door down, while we were on the phone. I couldn’t imagine having a marriage like that, and I couldn’t imagine having children with a man like that either. But regardless of whether you agree, or disagree with a discussion topic, is really not the point. Open discussion is always the bedrock of any democracy. That’s practically “Democracy 101”. Try to keep that in mind the next time that you feel the compulsion to troll, without ever saying anything worthwhile. 19373461-6461-4E72-9DA8-BD40D977BD47.jpeg 1D9B41DA-E81E-4E49-82FD-E826811B6BFC.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  6. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

BY the way, there was just a segment on the news which reported that in the unvaccinated areas, the ICU units are seeing increased infection rates in pregnant women. If you are pro-life and care about the life of unborn babies, like you say you do, then get yourself vaccinated!

Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    lawnboy likes this.
  7. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Covid has had a 2% fatality rate globally among confirmed cases, and has killed 0.05% of the world population. As a healthy young adult with a very healthy and strong immune system, I made the risk/benefit calculation for myself and what I feel is right for me. Whatever anyone else wants to do is up to them.

Making the argument that the variants will stop when the world is fully vaccinated is a fruitless one. We all know that is never going to happen. There are several variants of the flu every year, and there's been vaccines for those for a very long time.

Right now the entire continent of Africa, 1.2B people, is just over 2% vaccinated. Asia and Australia are around 25% with over 4.5B people. Those people travel too, and as long as they are not vaccinated, will continue to mutate and spread mutations around the world.

So worrying about what some other very low risk person is doing in JoCo while you are fully vaccinated and protected, is really not where the focus should be if you really did want to do something.

markfnc and BuzzMyMonkey like this.
  8. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

upload_2021-7-12_21-24-29.gif

9. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

Let me ask you something. What will you do if the vaccine becomes mandated? Normally, children can’t get into school without their immunization records showing that they’ve had all of their required vaccinations from deadly diseases, such as “polio”, “measles” and “chicken pox”. So, how is this any different? We never politicized those older diseases, but yet we continue to politicize this one. Just the fact that you brought up the issue of abortion and tried to equate it with Covid deaths, tells me that you are still politicizing Covid, since the topic of abortion is definitely divisive. It’s true, that we may need to keep on top of this virus, especially if it mutates even more, but to do NOTHING to protect yourself and others, is akin to moral, if not criminal, neglect. Maybe it’s easier for you to get lost in “numbers” and “percentages”; many men are like that. They’d rather look at cold, hard “figures”, rather than deal with the actual human and emotional toll that the numbers represent. But the 620,000 Americans that we lost so far, are not just “numbers”. They were actual human beings, Americans from every walk of life, so if you say that you “care about human life”, whether they are in the world, or waiting to be born, then you would do your level best to protect your life, and the life of others - ESPECIALLY the unborn, if you are pro-life.

I don’t spend my time “worrying” because I’ve already gotten the vaccine, so I am secure in the knowledge that I will not be the cause of anyone’s pain, or death - most especially an expectant mother and her unborn child. This is where we differ, because apparently you are fine with risking that. Remember, even an asymptomatic person, with a so-called “strong immune system” can transmit a lethal contagion and infect and kill a stranger without even knowing it. So, there seems to be a huge “disconnect” between what you say you believe, and how you practice those beliefs in your life. Don’t call yourself “pro-life” if you don’t really care about the sanctity of your life, the sanctity of the lives of others, or the sanctity of the lives of the unborn. Seeing that you really don’t care about life enough to protect it AT ALL, makes me think that your prior argument is not only cheap, but completely disingenuous.

Hught and Wayne Stollings like this.
  10. Wayne Stollings

Not really as there is that whole thing about "promoting the general welfare" and dying or suffering negative long term impacts is not promoting welfare at all. Being concerned with only your health and welfare makes for a less civilized society and a less civilized society makes for a lower life expectancy.

Back to apples and oranges comparisons do not bode well for your abilities to discuss such things. Covid-SARS viruses are different from influenza viruses in many ways. The fact is there has never been widespread use of an influenza vaccine to try to create the herd immunity such as is being undertaken by the world to date.

Most travelers are required to be tested and/or quarantined too. The "look at them" deflection does not logically work as everyone can try to say that if everyone else does it then they do not matter ... but that means no one is doing what is needed.

As long as you can try to ignore the simple fact that the Delta variant is now the dominate strain and as a result lessens the effectiveness of the vaccine from what it once was as a protection.

DWK likes this.
  11. lawnboy

lawnboy Well-Known Member

The problem is, Delta is specifically hitting the young harder and worse. Here's a specific 30 year old fatality this week - note he is clearly not obese nor otherwise has any medical conditions, unlike the "healthy" young that were dying last year, where the media glossed over the fact their spotlighted-kid was easily 300lbs:
    https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/fr...s-from-covid-he-contracted-in-nepal/19767860/

I was right there with you, in every way shape and form about COVID and the vaccine until about 5 weeks ago, after Delta hit India and shut down the UK. The writing was on the wall for the US at that point, and now, a month later, you see what's happening in MO and other states. 10% of the US cases were Delta, now they're estimated at 50% per the latest tracking, but the CDC has admitted the PCR test tracking is 2 weeks behind, so it's higher. That is why this healthy and relatively-young guy started looking at is as 60/40 or 70/30 instead of a coin flip. I'm not happy about an 8 month old vaccine either, but all I needed to make the decision was data - increasing amounts and changing types.

Bottom line is viruses mutate and evolve to survive. That's any virus. They will mutate more quickly and easily the more hosts they have. The more mutations, the deadlier it gets to all people, including healthy and young.

Wayne Stollings, DWK and Hught like this.
  12. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

Someone that got sick and died in a 3rd world country with very limited and overtaxed medical resources is not a great example. Even if they were very healthy to start with.

In NC, based on 7 day averages:
    526 cases per day
    7 deaths per day (1.3% fatality rate among those tested with confirmed cases)

In the US, based on 7 day averages:
    20,244 cases per day
    216 deaths per day (1.0% fatality rate among those tested with confirmed cases)

And most are saying that there are many, many more asymptomatic cases currently, most of which are not being tested. But unfortunately there are no statistics for that.

https://www.firstpost.com/health/va...but-shots-prevent-severe-disease-9800741.html

Also seems like many that are vaccinated are still carriers and are contributing to the spread. They just don't get as sick. But since they still spread it, it still continues to mutate. And most likely contributes to higher mutation as the virus tries harder the next time (since it wasn't effective with the vaccinated person).

https://www.npr.org/2021/02/09/965703047/vaccines-could-drive-the-evolution-of-more-covid-19-mutants

markfnc likes this.
  13. Wayne Stollings

You should read more than the headlines ...

PAUL BIENIASZ: They might serve as sort of a breeding ground for the virus to acquire new mutations.

HARRIS: That's because the virus is always mutating. And if one happens to produce a mutation that makes it less vulnerable to the vaccine, that virus could simply multiply in a vaccinated individual. But even if that happens, that's only one step in the process.

BIENIASZ: What's really unclear and really quite important for the virus to evolve is whether those people let - having been vaccinated and infected, whether they have sufficient levels of virus replication to pass the virus on to other people.

HARRIS: If the vaccine keeps virus levels low, even mutated viruses, the infected person won't produce enough to spread to other people. Unfortunately, at the moment, scientists can't answer the most basic questions about this process. How much does the virus actually replicate inside a person who has been vaccinated with either one dose or two? And how effective is that vaccine at limiting infection enough so that the virus levels stay low and prevent the spread to other people? Andrew Read at Penn State University says, whatever the answers may be, vaccine resistance or escape, as it's called, isn't nearly as scary as bacteria becoming resistant to antibiotics.

ANDREW READ: I know everybody's worried about it. But I would say history shows us that vaccine escape does not erode to zero. It does not erase vaccine protection.

HARRIS: A vaccine may become less potent. But in other cases where this has happened, it still works.

READ: It's often got very strong anti-disease properties. So you get less sick even with the viruses that are around.

HARRIS: And this evolutionary pressure is present for any vaccine that doesn't completely block infection. So it's not just an issue for people who are between their initial shot and a booster. Many vaccines, apparently, including the COVID vaccines, do not completely prevent a virus from multiplying inside someone even though these vaccines do prevent serious illness.

READ: I do think there are a lot of options here for trying to deal with any evolution should it occur.

HARRIS: One thing that helps is that dozens of vaccines are being developed. And more than half a dozen are already in use.

READ: One of the great things about having a lot of vaccine options is we might end up with a population which is heterogeneously vaccinated. You might get the AstraZeneca. And I'm going to get one of the mRNA ones. That'll really help hinder the spread of mutants that are good at any one of those.

HARRIS: A virus that has evolved to get around one vaccine is likely to be stopped by another. And that will limit the spread of mutant strains. Drugmakers are also keeping a close eye on mutants and are already formulating new vaccines that will be more effective if it turns out the original vaccines weaken too much. Paul Bieniasz says, this is not a crisis.

BIENIASZ: We're not going to fall off a cliff tomorrow in terms of vaccine efficacy. What we're likely to see is a slow, steady erosion of efficacy over, perhaps, quite a long period of time.

HARRIS: Bieniasz says, to slow this evolutionary process as much as possible, it's important to slow the spread of the virus right now so people who get vaccinated are at lower risk for getting infected in the first place.

14. Wayne Stollings

Your source is at odds with your position .....

Explaining why the world is seeing such a rapid increase in the spread of the Delta variant, WHO’s Dr Maria Van Kerkhove told Science in 5, "We have increased social mixing and increased social mobility, which increases the number of contacts that individuals have. The relaxation or the inappropriate use of public health and social measures. Proven public health and social measures that we know prevent infections, reduce the spread of somebody who is infected with the virus to others and save lives. Another factor is the uneven and inequitable distribution of vaccines."

It is abundantly clear that the world remains largely susceptible to infection, including any variants of concern, including the Delta variant.

What are the key things about the Delta variant?

The Delta variant, which is said to be a highly contagious and severe form of the SARS-CoV-2 virus strain, was first identified in India in December. The country faced a deadly second wave because of the Delta variant. Great Britain also bore brunt of it and it is now the dominant strain in the US.

• More contagious than the other virus strains: The World Health Organisation (WHO) called the Delta variant of the SARS-CoV-2 virus “the fastest and fittest.” The US CDC called Delta “a variant of concern”.
    • Why unvaccinated people are more at risk: People who are not fully vaccinated against COVID-19 yet are already at risk and even more so from the Delta variant. In India, people below the age of 18 years are not eligible for COVID-19 vaccines yet and not all adults have been vaccinated so far due to the sheer size of the population, vaccine hesitations and vaccine shortage.
    Fear of 'hyperlocal outbreaks': Epidemiologist F Perry Wilson told Yale Medicine that if residents of a certain locality are not vaccinated enough there is a high possibility of the Delta variant spreading very rapidly with hardly any shield to firewall the virus.

• No alternative to vaccination: Although vaccines are still getting upgraded as new knowledge of the SARS-CoV-2 virus emerges every other day, the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is said to have 88 percent effectiveness against symptomatic disease and 96 percent effectiveness against hospitalisation from Delta. The Oxford-AstraZeneca is 60 percent effective against symptomatic disease and provides a 93 percent chance against hospitalisation. Both Moderna and Johnson & Johnson have claimed to have some amount of effectiveness against the Delta variant. In the US, virtually all recent Covid hospitalisations and deaths were occurring among unvaccinated people.
    Why vaccinated people can also transmit the Delta variant of infected

On 4 July, Dr Anthony Fauci had told NBC that "it's feasible that a fully vaccinated person can be an asymptomatic carrier of COVID, and potentially transmit the virus, including the more contagious delta variant". The only silver lining is perhaps that Fauci said vaccinated people who get infected have significantly less viral load in their nasopharynx.

On Monday, repeating a similar observation, Dr Soumya Swaminathan, the WHO chief scientist, said, “There are reports coming in that vaccinated populations have cases of infection, particularly with the Delta variant. The majority of these are mild or asymptomatic infections.”

However, hospitalisations are rising in some parts of the world, mostly where vaccination rates are low and the highly contagious delta variant is spreading, Swaminathan said.

“The Delta variant is ripping around the world at a scorching pace, driving a new spike in cases and death. Not everywhere is taking the same hit, though,” WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said. “We are in the midst of a growing two-track pandemic where the haves and have-nots within and between countries are increasingly divergent in places with high vaccination coverage.”

Why masking and social distancing is unavoidable

15. Wayne Stollings

And both metrics are climbing now due to the Delta variant and low vaccination rate.....

16. Wayne Stollings

Except they did not die in a third world country, they died while being treated at Duke for about a month.

Bharati was exposed to COVID during his visit to Nepal and suffered severe pneumonia. He was admitted to local hospital but health conditions didn’t improve. Family and friends raised money to airlift him to Duke Hospital in late May, but Bharati died from multiple complications in late June.

17. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

It’s hard to “like” this, but it’s true. He died at Duke Hospital after suffering there for a month. The source was WRAL News:

0417FDF0-93D7-4775-B707-E5DD4D9E7A5F.jpeg

18. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

So, basically this man from Morrisville had the best care at Duke Hospital for over a month, in a facility with high-quality, medical resources, and even Duke’s efforts could not save him. Since Nepal is right next to India, who has lost hundreds of thousands of people to the Delta variant, it is more than likely that he died from the Delta variant contracted in Nepal.

19. DWK

DWK Well-Known Member

There’s another thing that I honestly don’t understand about your apparently intractable position, Jesse. A couple of times on this Discussion Board, you have mentioned that you work in pharmaceuticals, like a place like Grifols. For those readers unfamiliar with the company, Grifols is a multinational, high-tech, state-of-the-art, pharmaceutical and research and development company, located in Clayton, that develops cutting-edge, plasma-derived therapies, as well as many other processes and medical treatments. Their research and development teams, which include international top scientists, have received countless scientific awards for their work in immunodeficiencies, immunotherapies, hemophilia research, and more. Grifols’mission, as stated on the company’s website, promotes a “commitment to scientific research as the cornerstone of a process that will lead to better health and quality of life for people”. Grifols has also been very active in the fight against Covid-19 where the company has developed “molecular and immunological diagnostic tests for the diagnosis and screening of Covid-19 to facilitate early detection of the infection” (Source: Grifols website).

In addition to the development of diagnostic tests, Grifols has developed plasma treatments, “enabling the company to lead, or participate in more than 20 international research initiatives to find potential treatment options for different stages of Covid-19, including a multi-faceted approach to early stages of the disease, to halt its progression” (Source: Grifols website).

Concerning Grifols’ company culture and the common goals of its employees, Grifols states that “each and every one of us, contributes every day to achieving the mission of improving the health and well-being of people around the world” (Source: Grifols online employee mission statement).

Grifols certainly sounds like a great company to work for, and from your posts on here, I imagine that it wasn’t easy getting a position there, but you should be very proud that you work for a company dedicated to scientific principles, and also develops processes and treatments for all kinds of horrible diseases, including Covid-19.

But here’s something that doesn’t make much sense to me. Why would a person, such as yourself, who works for a “high-tech”, “state-of-the-art”, innovative “scientific facility” like Grifols, whose focus is developing and treating diseases - including Covid-19 - refuse to get the vaccine themselves? Much like your “argument” stating that you are supposedly “pro-life”, but will do nothing at all to protect the lives of those around you, or others in the community, by refusing the vaccine, you also have an obvious disconnect between the social values, and commitment to fighting Covid-19 at the place of your employment.

So do me a favor and tell me exactly HOW you justify and reconcile that kind of dissonance, so that I can try to understand it better. It makes very little sense to be employed at a company who is working very hard to protect the health of people around the world from Covid-19, when you have not even done the barest due diligence of getting the vaccine to protect yourself, or your community, but instead, continue to minimize and obfuscate the threat on this public Discussion Board. How in ANY WAY, are you staying true to the values and commitment of a scientific organization that is working hard to develop Covid therapies in order to save lives?

01EFB415-8275-49A6-936E-628B8B843B39.jpeg 1FE881BE-A031-4E94-A38C-E454671AE767.jpeg E18C6583-75EB-4781-88EC-8C183A460AD6.jpeg 8F1B43CC-4D5D-4875-ADEC-95DC2C0B4163.jpeg 5201FEE2-B6D1-4ABA-B3B5-37E64A84CB90.jpeg

20. Wayne Stollings