Gold and Silver Party

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by JenniferK, Apr 14, 2009.

1. michelle

michelle Well-Known Member

NO, you don't hardly get anything for silver. A friend had dropped off a baggie FULL of sterling silver jewelry and he only offered $30 for all of it. Needless to say, she didn't sell it. To give you an idea of the difference, gold was at about $930 an ounce (or maybe it was a gram) and silver was only at $15 per ounce (or gram).

2. AnnetteL

AnnetteL Well-Known Member

Wow-what a huge difference,oh well I guess I'll be hanging on to it then,my mistake for never liking gold:lol:
    Thanks for the info Michelle!!

3. kookookacho

kookookacho Well-Known Member

holy ***beep*** 930?! was that an estimate or was he really paying that an ounce (or gram)

4. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

No no no....

That's the price of gold for dealers who melt it down....

You get like 10-12 bucks per gram....

5. KDsGrandma

KDsGrandma Well-Known Member

There's 28 grams in an ounce. So if gold is selling for $930 per ounce, and you get $10-12 per gram, that's about a third of the value of the gold. Bear in mind, the gold in jewelry has to be melted down and processed for other uses. So that's probably a fair price, given the time and money it takes to make it useful. The price of gold fluctuates, like everything else, and it depends on what form the gold is in - bullion, coins, etc. - but you can google it and find out what it's selling for at any given time.

6. kookookacho

See hubby has this bracelet and a necklace that he doesn't wear anymore. There is nothing wrong with them just hanging around the jewelry box, gathering dust. Well, I take that back. The necklace is worn in a few places and needs some bulking up. He took that piece to the jewelers and they told him to buy that same necklace today would cost abut 2400. He paid NO WHERE NEAR that for it. It's just a rope chain...

so I'm thinking....:rolleyes:

7. JenniferK

I told you.... PLEASE have a party....I'll come, and you and I both will make $. I'll get $100 just for referring you to have a party!

8. kookookacho

doggoneit! I forgot to weight that thing last night! Let me talk to hubby and see if he wants to part with his bling. :lol:

9. JenniferK

Even if he doesn't, invite a dozen folks over, and make money off them....

10. KellBell

KellBell Well-Known Member

the question is not if he wants to part with his bling, but if you'd be caught dead standing next to him while he was sportin' said bling. 8):jester::p