My Big Gay NC Wedding

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by bulldawg, Oct 10, 2014.

1. bulldawg

bulldawg Well-Known Member

It's Legal :cheers:

2. bulldawg

and since when is love legal :grouphug:

3. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

:hurray:

4. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

5. Sherry A.

Sherry A. Well-Known Member

I watched the first one happen in Wake County and was so happy for those people. Finally some good news in N.C.

Sherry

6. bulldawg

7. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

:cheers:

(wedding planners, florists, wedding chapels, honeymoon venues, and divorce lawyers just got their client pool increased) :mrgreen:

8. Wayne Stollings

Welcome to the 21st century, y'all.

(there is still more to do to get equality across the board)

9. Wraunch

Wraunch Well-Known Member

It's progress I'll take it! Congrats!:cheers:

10. Rockyv58

House Speaker Thom Tillis and Senate leader Phil Berger seeking to intervene in the c

I just wish these A holes will just drop it already. I know this is not the pit but we need not to vote for Tillis. Maybe if he doesn't win it will send a message to him that his views are not in line with every one elses

http://www.wral.com/nc-magistrate-refuses-to-marry-gay-couple/14078411/

11. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

I've officiated 7 weddings already.

12. BuzzMyMonkey

BuzzMyMonkey Well-Known Member

Take it to the pit. This is twice you've gone political on this side while mentioning the pit. Hell you chided others on this before. Speaking of a holes.
    You also may find them win based on their agendas and prove to you that your agenda doesn't align with everyone else's.
    Geez.

13. Rockyv58

14. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Thank You Sir!

It must be great knowing that you will always be a part of one of the happiest days of their lives.

15. Wayne Stollings

:cheers:

16. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I don't mind that SS couples can marry, I don't like the way things were done.

Maybe there never should have been a vote in the first place, maybe it was unconstitutional in the first place, I'm not debating any of that.

However a judge being able to overthrow something written into a state's constitution is just wrong in my eyes. The Supreme Court should have heard it.

My ministers license doesn't allow me to perform ceremonies for SS couples though; it was in the documents I signed when I got ordained.

17. ferrickhead28

ferrickhead28 Well-Known Member

Congrats to the newlyweds! :)

18. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

:iagree:

19. Wayne Stollings

The process is that the lower courts have to rule then the appeals courts have to be consulted. They can try the case if there is some merit or they can refuse if there is nothing wrong with the lower courts ruling. That is what happened in the Supreme Court, their refusal to hear the case indicated there was no dissent with the opinion of that court and no reason to waste time or effort in the appeal. Those who pushed the vote knew this would be the final outcome, but they never expected it to happen so soon.

http://www.ncspin.com/2014/10/14/court-ruling-arrived-quicker-than-expected/

And state House Speaker Thom Tillis, who is now a Republican candidate for U.S. Senate, didn’t forecast it correctly shortly before state voters passed Amendment 1 in 2012, an amendment to the state constitution that stated that marriage in North Carolina could only legally occur between a man and a woman. Back then, Tillis predicted that no matter how state voters cast ballots, the matter would be ultimately determined by a court, where it would eventually lose.

He predicted the law would last a generation, or about 20 years. Today’s children would be the ones to make the change, Tillis predicted.

Instead, it happened much more quickly. A federal judge in Asheville on Friday officially overturned North Carolina’s ban on same-sex marriages less than five days after the U.S. Supreme Court denied appeals by five states whose bans on same-sex marriage were overturned in federal appeals courts. Those decisions appear to affect similar bans in other states within the courts’ jurisdiction — hence the demise of North Carolina’s marriage amendment. When the latest dominoes fall, there will soon be at least 32 states allowing same-sex couples to marry.

20. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Wayne, that's a pretty biased article if you read all the way through it.

My biggest fear is, that this opens the door, for more people to go to a candidate, like, oh I don't know, Hagan, who in turn goes to a judge, who in turn overturns something that was voted on by the people.

What's next? Gun control? The death penalty?

Like I said, I'm not debating that maybe "this" should have never been voted on, I'm saying that if there was to be an appeal, it should have been on a ballot, or in front of the Supreme Court.