New Pastor

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by inthehunt, May 21, 2007.

1. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

2. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

3. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

4. RealityCheck

5. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

6. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Even when I was a believer I knew better than to take the bible literally (The poor preacher used to sweat when I asked him about Eclesiastes). But if you folks honestly believe that every word is true does that mean that the following verses indicate that the earth does not move?

“He has fixed the earth firm, immovable.” (1 Chronicles 16:30)

“Thou hast fixed the earth immovable and firm …” (Psalm 93:1)

“Thou didst fix the earth on its foundation so that it never can be shaken.” (Psalm 104:5)

“…who made the earth and fashioned it, and himself fixed it fast…” (Isaiah 45:18)

“The sun also ariseth, and the sun goeth down, and hasteth to his place where he arose.” (Ecclesiastes 1:5)

“Then spake Joshua to the LORD in the day when the LORD delivered up the Amorites before the children of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel, Sun, stand thou still upon Gibeon; and thou, Moon, in the valley of Ajalon. And the sun stood still, and the moon stayed, until the people had avenged themselves upon their enemies. Is not this written in the book of Jasher? So the sun stood still in the midst of heaven, and hasted not to go down about a whole day.” (Joshua 10, 12-13)

These could very well be out of context, but this is how they are presented on a Senator Brownback for President site.

http://blogs4brownback.wordpress.com/2007/05/18/heliocentrism-is-an-atheist-doctrine/

7. RealityCheck

Careful Hught....you may get someone to actually THINK and step out of their comfort zone.

8. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

Which version of the Bible do you believe?

Exactly one third of the Lord's Prayer is taken out of Luke 11:2-4:

"And he said unto them, When ye pray, say, Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done, as in heaven, so in earth. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins; for we also forgive every one that is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation; but deliver us from evil" (Luke 11:2-32) (KJV)

compare to:

"He said to them, "When you pray, say: "'Father, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread. Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who sins against us. And lead us not into temptation" (Luke 11:2-4) (NIV).

9. lindenul

lindenul Well-Known Member

Talking to one's self is the first sign of impending mental collapse.

Oops!

10. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Just so you know I cut and pasted directly from the Senator Brownback for President web page listed, I did not take editorial liberties.

11. Wayne Stollings

Yet we see significant differences in the words between these two preferred versions. ;)

12. Wayne Stollings

In just the one example I provided the words were significantly different and thus was also the meaning one cna interpret from those words. It is all about intrepretation is it not?

Yes, but if the Bible is correct in the literal sense there cannot be this many variations of the lteral truth, which was the basis for the prior discussion. If the Bible is taken in the literal form there can only be one correct version, thus the question on which version contains that literal truth.

Which is fine for an opinion on a book, but not on a literal truth. You see my point in that question now?

Since the Bible was gleaned from many ancient texts it is hard to consider the "orginal type" to be anything less than the ancient script to me.

That may be so, but in the history of organized religions it has been the norm from the beginning. The modern Christian churches have taken so much from other religions over the centuries and changed the stance on so many issues it is difficult to believe otherwise.

That is an issue with all religions, I believe.

13. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

.......Very good...sez much that needs to be addressed by honest "seeking" hearts.

14. zookeeper

zookeeper Well-Known Member

Since inthehunt's join date is this month, and all posts are religion related, AND they didn't question WTF Ormley is, my guess is they are one in the same.

Very tiring when people become members to chat about only one subject - take off the blinders folks, there's a ton of subjects you can pick fights about. Religion can't be argued about and won - look at the Middle East if you want proof.

15. HXCforCHRIST

HXCforCHRIST Well-Known Member

Finally someone who thinks the same as I do.. I even bet that ormly and inthehunt are never on at the same time.. funny how their post are usally directly after one another.

16. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

However, I know what WTF means and didn't respond because I do.

These same people are the ones who will cry like a stuck pigs when disaster strikes on a personal level. "Why me God!!??" or "Why my family"??!!

17. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

18. HXCforCHRIST

HXCforCHRIST Well-Known Member

I choose not to feed your Holier than thou attitude.

All i have to say is that "hurting people hurt people". Is it that you are hurting and since your hurting you decide to hurt others by putting down what they stand for and shoving what you believe is the only right way on them and using the "just trying to make you think" as a excuse to make you seem all knowing. Oh and last time I checked God was the only all knowing one.

19. Fighting Camel Still

Fighting Camel Still Well-Known Member

20. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member