New Pastor

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by inthehunt, May 21, 2007.

1. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

Sure, but how do you figger? "Begot-ning" is an absolute.

2. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

hehehehe see we all aint bad southerners that is.

3. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

Yes! Stick to that. However, be wary of translations attempting to explain or make more clear the KJV, since they all tend toward a particular slant. That goes for Bibles with commentaries in them, as well. The commentaries, all too often, become gospel in the minds of the lazy.

4. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

only at newyears? omg

5. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

That is the most current method. The bones from similar eras are found together so they can all be used to help confirm the others. The bones found in widely separate areas but are similar to other bones can be tested to also provide supporting evidence.

The repeated testing of known items, unknown items from the same area, and unknown items from different areas but with very similar appearance can all be tested for confirmation. This is done by many scientists over an extended period of time with the goal of proving the original tests were incorrect. If it cannot be disproved over time it is accepted.

No, gospel truth requires faith and science seeks confirmation and questioning rather than blind faith.

But who produced your Bible? Who translated it from the original languages? Who wrote it in those orignial languages? Not to mention the conclave of religious leaders who decided which books actually went into the various versions of the Bible.

Or not.

6. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

ok then I thought you meant only once a year I was gonna tell ya how to put them up so you can have them all year long ( I had a southern grandma too) lol

7. RealityCheck

RealityCheck Well-Known Member

Glad to see some people have taken the time to THINK a little bit and research.

Still come back to my original questions as stated above.

8. GarnerGirl2000

GarnerGirl2000 Well-Known Member

i have no manners!?!?!?!?! you wouldnt know manners if they smacked you in the face! and as far as drugs, you must be the one on drugs talking about dinosuars and mermaids you old fart!

9. Wayne Stollings

The half life of the Carbon-14 is a constant. That means the amount of Carbon-14 will reduce by half in about 5800 years, that amount will reduced by half in the same time, that amount will reduce by half .. and so on. There are some variables which would affect a precise date but in these cases we are only interested in the general time frame as it definitely cannot be the few thousand years proposed by religious authorities.

10. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

I'm still thinking lol

11. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

you call em like you see em?? It seems to me that she was simply making a comment at first (so I think) and she did not call YOU an atheist she made a blanket statement - You just jumped in on that comment as it was in refernce to you being the atheist and came back with your thoughts... And then - well then it was on - LOL

The sycophantic behavoir part??? don't get ? when I was in College I thought that meant trying to win someone over with compassion, lies or bribery so to speak?? I personally Love Jesus as my Lord and Savoir, belive he died on the cross for my sins and rose again..... so when you say "they" with the sycophatic behavoir - please note that I am not trying to win you over personally although I pray that you do accept Jesus and would hope that one day you do belive again before it is too late - but if you do not then that is you. However I still hope that for you. :)

12. Curious

Curious Well-Known Member

Hey don't forget about the grits...you gotta' love grits if you're raised in the south! :)

13. Wayne Stollings

http://www.ndt-ed.org/EducationResources/CommunityCollege/Radiography/Physics/carbondating.htm

Carbon dioxide is distributed on a worldwide basis into various atmospheric, biospheric, and hydrospheric reservoirs on a time scale much shorter than its half-life. Measurements have shown that in recent history, radiocarbon levels have remained relatively constant in most of the biosphere due to the metabolic processes in living organisms and the relatively rapid turnover of carbonates in surface ocean waters. However, changes in the atmosphere over the ages are a source of uncertainty in the measurements.

Carbon (C) has three naturally occurring isotopes. Both C-12 and C-13 are stable, but C-14 decays by very weak beta decay to nitrogen-14 with a half-life of approximately 5,730 years. Naturally occurring radiocarbon is produced as a secondary effect of cosmic-ray bombardment of the upper atmosphere. Plants transpire to take in atmospheric carbon, which is the beginning of absorption of carbon into the food chain. Animals eat the plants and this action introduces carbon into their bodies.

After the organism dies and becomes a fossil, carbon-14 continues to decay without being replaced. To measure the amount of radiocarbon left in a fossil, scientists burn a small piece to convert it into carbon dioxide gas. Radiation counters are used to detect the electrons given off by decaying C-14 as it turns into nitrogen. The amount of C-14 is compared to the amount of C-12, the stable form of carbon, to determine how much radiocarbon has decayed, thereby dating the fossil.

Exponential Decay Formula: A = A0* 2^(-t/k)

Where "A" is the present amount of the radioactive isotope, "A0" is the original amount of the radioactive isotope that is measured in the same units as "A." The value "t" is the time it takes to reduce the original amount of the isotope to the present amount, and "k" is the half-life of the isotope, measured in the same units as "t."

The applet allows you to choose the C-14 to C-12 ratio, then calculates the age of our fossilized skull from the formula above.

14. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

How old does one have to be to be an old fart? The term old fart is a strange one I thought farts just disolve or go away (and die so to speak) I guess they age quickly .If it is a old fart does it smell?

sorry in a silly mood!

15. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

But then we don't really know when the beginning was, do we?

16. Angeleyes

Angeleyes Guest

yes and country ham and redeye gravey

17. DAH22

DAH22 Well-Known Member

Job 40: 15-24 Behemoth (cedar tree like tail kinda excludes a hippo or elephant)
    and Job 41 - 34 leviathan (sea monster ??)

what do you think these animals were referring too?? Just curios - I assure you that I am NOT trying to argue but enjoy learning more about the Bible and my Lord and Savoir? Some say this could possibly be dinosaurs - some say not... but could this possibly explain dinosaurs to those who question the Bible?? Again - I am NOT trying to start an attitude competition (I win that at home lol) but just giving another view point to the dinosaur statement. :)

Wayne - what are your thoughts on Behemoth and leviathans? (sorry posted this in the wrong place earlier)

18. Wayne Stollings

No, we can only know when the beginning of life was based on what we have found to date. The difference is quite consdierable in the time frame given by Bible scholars too. Science also continues to question and search for answers while religion claims to have that answer and tries to prevent any further searching or question. ;)

19. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

Oh, I doubt that to be nothing more than a guess, at best.

While religion does have the answer that can't be refuted by science, religion does nothing of the sort, as you suppose by that remark.

Rational thinking must embrace the Biblical view.

20. Wayne Stollings

I think the Behemoth is more likely the elephant where a translation problem has occurred. Unless one is familiar with an elephant it is hard to describe the trunk other than a very large "tail" on the wrong end. The reference to the vegetarian nature fits more closely than the assumption it is some type of dinosaur.

The Leviathan sounds very similar to the descriptions of fire breathing dragons from many other mythologies. Whether there was a real animal basis for this description is difficult, but there has been no proof uncovered at this time. Some of the larger whale species might be confused with a "monster" given the blowing could become smoke after a few tellings and where there is smoke there is fire ... :) I do not not if that is the case but it would answer several myths of similar creatures and the size would fit.