New Pastor

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by inthehunt, May 21, 2007.

1. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

2. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

So you do understand the system including our biosphere is not closed and thus theere is no increase in entropy or are you trying to make another point?

The amino acids are the basis of life and when enough are present in the proper conditions a single celled organism can form. That would be the beginning of life on this planet. Given enough time and the input of radiation/heat energy the single celled organisms can mutate to produce a more complex multi-celled organism which has better surival characteristics. This allows an advantage for survival to direct the organism toward even more beneficial and complex forms. Over a very long time more complex organisms will form specialized function organs and we have the beginning of plants and animals. I know this isvery crudely presented but I did not want to get too complex to just get a single line attempt at dismissal. ;)

3. Wayne Stollings

The Second Law of Theromdynamics:

The entropy of an isolated system not in equilibrium will tend to increase over time, approaching a maximum value at equilibrium.

What is an isolated system?

In thermodynamics, an isolated system, as contrasted with a open system, is a physical system that does not interact with its surroundings. It obeys a number of conservation laws: its total energy and mass stay constant. They cannot enter or exit, but can only move around inside. An example is in the study of spacetime, where it is assumed that asymptotically flat spacetimes exist.

Truly isolated physical systems do not exist in reality (except for the universe as a whole), but real systems may behave nearly this way for finite (possibly very long) times. The concept of an isolated system can serve as a useful model approximating many real-world situations. It is an acceptable idealization used in constructing mathematical models of certain natural phenomena; e.g., the Sun and planets in our solar system, and the proton and electron in a hydrogen atom are often treated as isolated systems. But from time to time, a hydrogen atom will interact with electromagnetic radiation and go to an excited state.

What is equilibrium?

In thermodynamics, a thermodynamic system is said to be in thermodynamic equilibrium when it is in thermal equilibrium, mechanical equilibrium, and chemical equilibrium. The local state of a system at thermodynamic equilibrium is determined by the values of its intensive parameters, as pressure, temperature, etc. Specifically, thermodynamic equilibrium is characterized by the minimum of a thermodynamic potential, such as the Helmholtz free energy, i.e. systems at constant temperature and volume:

A = U – TS
    Or as the Gibbs free energy, i.e. systems at constant pressure and temperature:

G = H – TS
    The process that leads to a thermodynamic equilibrium is called thermalization. An example of this is a system of interacting particles that is left undisturbed by outside influences. By interacting, they will share energy/momentum among themselves and reach a state where the global statistics are unchanging in time.

Thermal equilibrium is achieved when two systems in thermal contact with each other cease to exchange energy by heat. If two systems are in thermal equilibrium their temperatures are the same.

4. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

Everything left to itself deteriorates...Period! The only thing/things that improve left unattended is cheese, smoked hams and fine wine and even they need some oversight because the rotting needs to be supervised.

[​IMG]Wait one!! What proper conditions that just happened along out of nowhere??
    [​IMG] Whatta ya mean, can??
    [​IMG]

Yer kiddin me, right? Beginning of life; more complex multi-celled organism; better survival characteristics; in animals and plants...all from nothing? And living in what? Slime, Dust, Bad breath..... C'mon Wayne. I know you don't like God, but this is ridiculous.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2007
  5. Mark W.

Mark W. Active Member

Invitation

Any of you guys that would like to attend a church that believes the Bible is the actual Word of God and not just some book and is preached that way you're welcome to come and visit Midway Baptist Church on 401.

6. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

Thank you, Mark...:)

7. Wayne Stollings

No, but that is your unsupported claim is it not.

No, just liquid water and electrical activity both of which occur naturally.

As in it is capable of happening. If I had firm proof that had actually happened I would say so.

No, living it the water which was present on the planet. You know the reason the water being on Mars is so interesting for scientists. ;)

I know your replies are becoming less and less organized and supported (if that is actually possible) but I would not call you ridiculous ...yet.

8. rjfields

rjfields Well-Known Member

Sorry MArk did the Midway when I was a kid. Mr. Upchurch and his family wanted too much money and didn't like the way I dressed. I stay where I'm at thanx.

9. Wayne Stollings

An interesting article on the subject, but it is several pages for those with short attention spans. :)

http://www.americanscientist.org/template/AssetDetail/assetid/21438?fulltext=true

The Beginnings of Life on Earth
    Christian de Duve

This article originally appeared in the September-October 1995 issue of American Scientist.

Advanced forms of life existed on earth at least 3.55 billion years ago. In rocks of that age, fossilized imprints have been found of bacteria that look uncannily like cyanobacteria, the most highly evolved photosynthetic organisms present in the world today. Carbon deposits enriched in the lighter carbon-12 isotope over the heavier carbon-13 isotope—a sign of biological carbon assimilation—attest to an even older age. On the other hand, it is believed that our young planet, still in the throes of volcanic eruptions and battered by falling comets and asteroids, remained inhospitable to life for about half a billion years after its birth, together with the rest of the solar system, some 4.55 billion years ago. This leaves a window of perhaps 200-300 million years for the appearance of life on earth.

10. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

Did i say 'ridiculous"? I'm sorry. I meant to say, "ludicrous".

How bout the question which came first, the chicken or the egg? Can you answer that one.

11. Wayne Stollings

Sure, the egg. What we call a chicken now evolved from a prior egg laying species so the egg predates the chicken species. ;) ;)

I did warn those with short attention spans did I not?

12. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

Before shooting down the rest of what you assert, what laid the egg?

If you still adhere to the notion it evolved, what came first the shell or the contents within it?...fertilized or otherwise.

Last edited: May 25, 2007
  13. Wayne Stollings

The prior evolutionary ancestor fo the chicken. I do not know if it has been given a name, do you?

Now if you are discussion the shelled egg it would probably still be the egg but that could go either way. If you are discussing eggs in general, which include the soft fish type eggs, the first such egg would come from a creature, but not one which we know has ever been named.

14. Ormly

Ormly Well-Known Member

Incredible!! [​IMG]

15. Wayne Stollings

Yes science seems incredible if one is uninformed. In fact there is a saying that any science sufficiently advanced will seem like magic to the lower level science.

Or were you talking about your ability to quote twice? :confused: