Please! Help me save my cat!

Discussion in 'Cat Dog' started by nsanemom22, Mar 3, 2010.

1. kaci

kaci Well-Known Member

QFT:cheers:

2. HidesinOBX

HidesinOBX Well-Known Member

I used to spray Bitter Apple on the areas I didn't want my cat scratching or rubbing against.

3. Rcskip

Rcskip Well-Known Member

Double sided tape.

4. Gomer Pyle

Gomer Pyle Well-Known Member

Random thoughts:

1) Dang! That's a big cat if he can almost reach the door knob!

a) "...can almost reach the door knob..." Hmmm...

2) The cat has trained you and you have trained the cat. You both have conditioned responses to specific stimuli: cat wants in> cat scratches> you hear cat> you open door >repeat.

b) IMHO (roll eyes here...) you may have better luck by transfering this behavior to something more socially acceptable than by punishment alone. Discourage him/her (Bitter Apple, squirt gun etc), but give him/her an alternative...and that's where I run out of clever ideas.

i) One of my cats loves this thing (hanging scratch mat, below) -the other three don't care- but it wouldn't take much creativity to modify it to provide an audible alarm. Heck, if your guy can run 220 vac to the front door, a couple of sleigh bells shouldn't be much of a challenge...
    [​IMG]

3) Resist the temptation to make him/her pretty! Cats have a proud heritage as apex predators, independent and powerful- no 'real man' can accept a kitty cat with hot pink claws!

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
  5. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

^^That might work, I've trained my dog to ring a bell to go out. Good ideas.