Restaurants

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by elims, Oct 25, 2006.

1. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'd love to find a decent Chinese restaurant around here, local to Clayton. The ones we have are SO BAD! I feel like I'm taking my life in my hands if I venture to try them! Sadly, the best one I have ever eaten at is near our hometown in Wytheville Va of all places, their egg rolls are out of this world, handmade, not that frozen stuff which seems to be all that is around here. I have been known to buy a dozen on our way home freeze them to enjoy later! I make every effort to eat there every time we go up there. Hmmmm, might have to make the trip soon, I feel a craving coming on! :lol:

2. kdc1970

kdc1970 Guest

I'll have to give them a try!

3. LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood Guest

P F Changs lettuce wraps are AWESOME! I also LOVE their cucumbers in like a soy sauce. Now I am hungry.

4. LifeIsGood

LifeIsGood Guest

I will have to try that!

5. harleygirl

harleygirl Well-Known Member

Spent alot of time there! 8)

My all time favorite restaurant EVER is Elijah's in Wilmington. We get a "Carolina Bucket" for 2. YUM! (may have to eat dinner there tomorrow night)

6. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

Piccola Italia @ Cameron Village downtown Raleigh.. very nice little Italian restaurant. Excellent Veal Parm!

7. Hatteras6

Hatteras6 Well-Known Member

Shucker's Oyster Bar, Wake Forest...good stuff.

8. motorider

motorider Well-Known Member

If I was going to stay in the area and not drive to Raleigh, Wake Forest, Cary or Wilmnington it'd have to be The FlipSide.

They have great crab cakes, a Kobe beef hamburger that is fantastic, and the buffalo chicken wrap is yummy. Plus the sweet potato fries are a real treat.

I prefer to support local establishments and generally do not like chains.

9. Rostrawberry

Rostrawberry Well-Known Member

What about Chops? What are your opinions of that place?

10. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

One of the toughest steaks I've ever had. I'm still chewing!

11. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

blechh...I think its safe to say that the majority of people here who have eaten at Chops have had a poor experience there (myself & the in-laws included).

12. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

If you truly want great Chinese food, go to Red Palace on New Bern Ave., and try the Seafood Hot and Sour Soup, Spicy Dumplings (very hot, sauce is chili oil), Shrimp with Walnuts (to DIE for!), and Tea Smoked Duck. Also try the Crispy Beef and Sizzling Chicken with Orange Sauce.

I'm not a big fan of PF Chang. Too inauthentic, like a bad cliche. If you like those lettuce wraps they have, then go to the Vietnamese restaurant in Chapel Hill called the Lime and Basil, on Franklin Street, and try the Salad Wraps with peanut sauce.

13. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

I don't see any reference to this restaurant on this thread but sometime back someone mentioned Louise's authentic Louisiana Cajun Food in Clayton. Finally tried them tonight. Rainy weather so take out sounded good. The seafood gumbo and chichen/sausage gumbo was very good. The shrimp jambala was nasty. We will go back for the gumbo and to try other offerings. Their menu is limited. Oh how we miss the restaurants in New Orleans.

14. tawiii

tawiii Guest

Where is this?

15. gcoats3

gcoats3 Well-Known Member

In Clayton on US 70 at intersection with Main Street. A couple of doors down from Smithfield Barbecue. Take out and outside picnic tables only. No inside dining area. Operators came here from Louisiana after Katrina.

16. PoohBear

PoohBear Well-Known Member

Italian - Casa Cabone, Gleenwood Ave, Raleigh
    Chinese - Peking Garden, Raleigh
    Breakfast - Big Ed's, Raleigh
    Hot Dogs - Grocery Bag, Flowers Plantation, Clayton
    Service, price and variety - Cracker Barrell, 40/42
    Rack of Lamb/Special Occasions - Mo's Diner, E. Hargett Street, Raleigh
    Seafood - 42nd Street Oyster Bar, Raleigh

17. tassy

tassy Well-Known Member

used to be the old Domino's pizza

18. mugsy_211

mugsy_211 Active Member

I'll second Moe's Diner in Raleigh, they have great crab cakes and you should try Cafe' Luna they have great Lasagna and beef tenderloin they are located off Hargett street across from Exploris.

19. Jean S

Jean S Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago I posted on here looking for a good Seafood restaurant since Lanes had closed. We tried the Farmers Market Seafood Restaurant and it is FANTASTIC!! Huge portions of delicious, fresh, Calabash style seafood. Hubby and I can easily split 1 plate of 3 combination seafood.
    For Hotdogs, Hamburgers, and sandwiches, try the grill off of Rand Road, (cant remember the name of it, but you cant miss it) they have really good Hotdogs and Hamburgers and their Chicken Salad sandwich is yummy too. Or there is a little diner in downtown Clayton called Jones Diner that has good hotdogs and hamburgers. If you want a fancy seafood restaurant, try 42nd Street Oyster Bar, they have a variety of fish and seafood dishes - a little pricey for frequent dining, but good for special occasions.

I forgot Italian - Venero's in Clayton - Delicious Stromboli and Garlic Knots!

20. softballmom

softballmom Well-Known Member

I heard no chains, but Carrabba's is the best! I have never eaten anything there that I did not like, Italian at its finest! Only ever had one problem with service, they ran out of tape when they were printing our salad order, so forgot us for 20 minutes. But they gave all of us our meal for free, and gave us all desserts to take home. I was impressed.
    I can't believe Chops is still open, how do they stay in business? They have burned all the locals at least once!