vacuum cleaner repair

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Rockyv58, Feb 8, 2021.

1. Rockyv58

Rockyv58 Well-Known Member

I posted twice on next door and have gotten absolutely no response. So I am going to post here,

Does anyone know a reasonable vacuum cleaner repair show locally?

Thanks

2. markfnc

markfnc Well-Known Member

Dunn Vacuum Center 910-892-4455. not right here, but good reviews

Rockyv58 likes this.
  3. bulldawg

bulldawg Well-Known Member

Not sure if you have already have the vacuum cleaner in the shop but I have been repairing my vacuum through youtube videos and ordering parts online. Just to give you an idea I am on the low end of being handy. Just wanted to share

Rockyv58 and Hught like this.
  4. Rockyv58

Thanks Markfnc.
    Bulldawg. I sent you a message
    Markfnc I am going to take a look at it and see if I can fix the issues myself. if not I will check out that place over in Dunn. If it is less than 49.00 to fix it i will. I saw a new vacuum at wally world for 49.00

5. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

if you find a new vacuum that fits your needs for $49.00 it makes sense to purchase instead of fixing old broken one. how much is your time and aggravation worth? driving to dunn? gas and time vs $49.00. good luck.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  6. Rockyv58

i guess i am kind of old school i just hate throwing stuff away if it can be fixed. What ever happened to the "emmett's fix it shop" that would fix things. We've become such a throw away society. :)

7. Wayne Stollings

Wayne Stollings Well-Known Member

That is it. Things are made to be replaced not repaired now. Remember when there used to be TV repair shops everywhere and now they are just replaced. I had to replace a dishwasher because of the amount of windshield time round trip the technicians wanted to know how old the unit was and once they determined it was over a certain age they would not check it out. They all said they could replace it for me more cheaply since to check it out would be a service call and another for the installation given the time involved.

Rockyv58 likes this.
  8. barney726

barney726 Well-Known Member

most technicians tell me all appliances are now computers/electronic. not washing machines, dryers, dishwashers, etc.

9. Wayne Stollings

True. I had to replace a sensor on our washing machine because it would trigger an error in the computer at the end of the wash cycle sometimes. Nothing is as bad as a inconsistent problem to me. The sensor only made the error occur less often. Finally a new set will be delivered tomorrow.

We also have a wall mounted electric oven with a built in microwave that had a control board go out. The technician ordered both boards, replacing the more likely and then the second without getting it to operate. It later turned out that the fuse to the microwave also went out. It could have been just the fuse and the boards were not needed, but once they were installed they were mine and the technician was following the troubleshooting instructions from the manufacturer and the replacements they gave as the result of the findings. After almost $700.00 we had a microwave and oven again because the control system was shared by both and neither would work if they both did not work.

10. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

I remember the TV repairman coming to our house with a caddy full of tubes. He would fix it “on the spot”.

....don’t really want to think about how long ago that was...o_O

markfnc, barney726, Rockyv58 and 2 others like this.
  11. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Ok, this really makes me feel old, I took TV repair in High School, it was a Technical High School.

12. Wayne Stollings

I remember some of the stores having tube testers that you could test the tubes from your TV and buy new ones if needed,

13. BobF

BobF Well-Known Member

Yep...I fixed my first ever AM tube radio by pulling out the tubes and taking them down to Radio Shack and replacing the "soft" ones. Felt like quite an accomplishment to my 16 year old self!

markfnc, Wayne Stollings and Hught like this.
  14. poppin cork

poppin cork Well-Known Member

LOL, TANDY. Our first computer.:D Weren't we sumpin.

BobF and Hught like this.
  15. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Still using cassette tapes for data storage?

Wayne Stollings likes this.
  16. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I still remember using punch cards for programming.

Rockyv58 and Wayne Stollings like this.
  17. jesse82nc

jesse82nc Well-Known Member

I still remember my first one, a Tandy 1000 SX

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Wayne Stollings and BobF like this.
  18. poppin cork

That ones fancy. 2 floppies!

19. poppin cork

Na, but the older I get the more Floppy disc I use.:D

Hught likes this.
  20. Hught

Hught Well-Known Member

Wow, my first computor did not have floppy disks like I said, my first Tandy used Cassette Tapes.