Welfare

Discussion in 'Discussion Group' started by Anonymous, Aug 4, 2006.

?

If someone is on welfare and receiving food stamps do you think they should have to be in a program

1. yes

100.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Anonymous

Anonymous Well-Known Member

Since we are paying for people to be on food stamps and welfare that are capable of working I was wondering how everyone felt. If someone is capable, physically and mentally, of working or looking for work but doesn't should they be able to sit home all day and collect welfare? I know there are some factors such as babysitters, no way to get to work or too dumb to do anything but why should that family be allowed to receive this when the rest of us are out busting our butts to support our own family. And basically supporting theirs!
    I know sometimes some get in a little bind and need help that is fine and dandy but to make it a lifetime thing is what pisses me off.

2. Oy Yayoy

Oy Yayoy Well-Known Member

Well, have you noticed that the excuse given in Lebanon for tolerating Hezbollah is that they "provide social services"? What you have is a terrorist group buying political sanctuary with welfare.

Have you heard of Boss Tweed and Tammany Hall? It was the Democratic political machine that ruled New York for many decades. They'd get the immigrants as they came ashore, help set them up with a place to stay and employment, and in return expect them to vote a certain way, as told. It wasn't until they tarred and feathered one of Eleanor Roosevelt's kids that she set out to destroy it, and more or less did.

In a similar way, the Democratic Party buys and owns the welfare votes of the inner cities across the country.

It's a scam.

3. MrDj

MrDj Well-Known Member

I think it's a scam when someone is on food stamps and such.
    When they live with their boyfriend or girlfriend who works and tells social services they live alone. They sit waiting for their hand out from the government that us hard working people pay for. I think it's horrendous when people with children say the father wont pay for the kids needs and yet they live with the father of said children
    I think its a Monstrosity that this happens across our country.
    I also know of some people that work two jobs to take care of their children on their own.

4. cevans

cevans Guest

:roll:

5. elims

elims Well-Known Member

I think when it gets to the point that a person is on welfare and food stamps, they should be forced to take a job ... ANY job ... not wait for one that suits them. They should be doing ANYTHING THEY CAN to support themselves (and their family). People are too spoiled. They should start working part-time jobs, even if those jobs are considered 'beneath' them. Are you telling me they really cant get a job at a fast food joint? Or loading stock? Or cleaning floors?
    Once they prove they really are doing EVERYTHING THEY CAN to help themselves, then they can be allowed welfare and government assistance.

6. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

O.M.F.G. :shock:

I was WONDERING what the story was here. Karma man, Karma....

7. Anonymous

The topic is welfare. Sorry if you felt this poll was about you.

8. Anonymous

Sorry Cleo to dissappoint you on some drama but my poll was about welfare and welfare only. If someone took it literally then that is their fault. I am not here for drama. This board was for public opinion not stupidity! (even though that happens alot on here)

9. Anonymous

NO Cleo to be perfectly honest we were talking about people in general. If someone took it personally then it's their problem not mine. He responded b/c he wanted to. D@mn now I remember why I stop coming here. Some people need the drama.

10. Cleopatra

Cleopatra Well-Known Member

Well, I am feeling a little frisky tonight. 8)

11. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

I knew I'd need to start singing again soon......

Kumbaya my lord, kumbaya

12. Ecugyrl

Ecugyrl Well-Known Member

What is happening here? I am a little lost?>>> :shock:

13. Anonymous

What is happening is there is a question on the table regarding welfare. That is it. :)

14. JenniferK

JenniferK Well-Known Member

Tammy, I think you should add another option to the poll......

Depends on circumstances.....

What if they can't work? Disabled, etc?

15. Ecugyrl

Ecugyrl Well-Known Member

I just think if they can and are able to work and choose not to is wrong. I do not know how people do it ....receive welfare...I mean, I do not know what the qualifications are and I understand the economy isn't the best right now with the job market....but you do what you have to do. But if you can't work you just can't, but if you can...get to it. :lol:

16. Anonymous

Jen I understand there are other circumstances but my question is : if they are capable mentally and physically to work and collect welfare shouldn't they be in some kind of program to help them find work or show proof that they are looking. I can't stand the thought of people working hard and getting money taking out of their pay check and some of it goes towards supporting these lazy people that are sucking the system dry. I know the job market sucks but there are jobs out there.

17. MrDj

MrDj Well-Known Member

I agree people fall on hard times and need assistant. That is fine for short period but taking advantage of the system is both immoral and illegal - called welfare fraud.
    For people that are unable to work that is why they have social security and disability. And personally I don't like the fact to pay for these people that are taking advantage of the system.

18. ddrdan

ddrdan Well-Known Member

The circumstances and the topic as a whole are way too complicated to give a "YES" or "NO" answer. Some things are black and white. This is not one of them.

I see answers in here that mimic the way our society has grown to jump at quick resolutions to good programs because of a few bad apples. As I grow older I see a conceded selfish nature in the United States that is appalling. I see that selfishness in many aspects of daily life and not just dealing with this topic.

We've made so many stupid changes that the people who really need welfare assistance are blocked from receiving it. And mainly because of an inept ability to address the bad apples. We punish everyone instead of concentrating on the problem people. Why? Because it's the quick and easy way to come to a resolution.

We need to stop the easy black & white, yes and no, all good all bad thought process and get back to addressing the real offenders. I'm sorry if that's harder to do, but it's the right thing to do.

I don't know what the answer is to fixing the welfare system, but I sure see a lot of "know it alls" in here that think they've found the answer after 10 minutes of thought.

19. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Then they should apply for SSI. If they truly can't work, then it will be documented. If they can, they will be proven to be the con artist they are.

20. magnolia

magnolia Well-Known Member

Example?